Revised Beginner plate

Hi,

I was searching through the "other" forum and found a practice plate that was posted by SVD.

Sam, should I name the other forum?

Rather than revive the old thread I started this one.

Thanks to SVD over on the "other" engraving site for drawing the first one, hope you're Ok with me modifying your plate design.

I imported it into inkscape and eventually figured out to make a vector file by tracing the .jpg .

I tried to upload the .svg and .eps file directly but the forum won't accept those file types. So, you have to uinzip the files.

If you have Inkscape, it will use the .svg file, Illustrator should load the .eps file although I couldn't test that file for compatibility. If someone with Illustrator wants to let me know if it converted Ok I would appreciate that info.

For those of you not familiar with Inkscape it is a very capable program, free, and does an excellent job of tracing bitmap graphics so you can convert them to vector formats. It has an automatic tracing module, but for the simple stuff I do I just do it manually.

This was done with ver 48.3.1.1.

There is a new version of inkscape out.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/inks...cape/0.48.3.1/

Enjoy!

Matt

Attachments

• svdplate1.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 88

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Of course you can mention other forums. It's done all the time.

I looked at your EPS file and I'm not sure how it's supposed to look. Can you upload a JPG?

mrthe

Thank you is helpfull have this type of draws for practice plates expecially for beginners,help a lot for the control of the graver

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Ok, that's what mine looks like too. Yes, it would be a good beginner's practice plate. Plenty of straight lines that will require back cutting, and progressively tighter curves. Good job and thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:

rkidd

A real green horn here I look forward to trying to cut this as soon as I figure out how to transfer to to a practice plate. Thanks for the design.

Hi rkidd,

http://www.engravingschool.com/private/transfers.htm

I have had the best luck with simple designs using Laser method C & D.

If you decide to go the ink jet printer route the HP 1000 is a very economical printer that works well with the Inkjet printer method at the top of the page. I think I paid $29 for one at Wal-Mart. Tom Whit's solutions and transfer sheets are highly reccomemnded by others although I have not tried them personally.

For the practice plate above the Laser method C works well enough. But it takes a few tries to get the acetone to soak into the paper by just the right amount.

I am still a rank beginner but I started out by trying to just cut straight lines. Once you get better at that then try the curves.

Sam suggested that this plate would be good practice for back cutting, I need to figure out how that works.

Hope that helps.

Matt

rkidd

Thanks I found some carbon paper and traced it on to some brass last night. It dicnt come out too bad but I still need some practice. I will look into the link and see how that works.

Sponsors