The New Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member

www.engravingtransfers.com

This new system of Engraving Transfers is designed to assist the engraver in establishing proper and credible Colt Style Scrolls on Colt Single Action Army Revolvers, and on Colt SAA Clones (Turnbull Open Range, US Arms, Ruger Vaquero, Cimmeron, Uberti and others). With creative adjustments, transfers are also used for scrolling other simlilarly styed Western and single action revolvers from various manufacturers. By using the instructions included with the various Kits, permanent scroll images can be easily transferred from the Transfer Sheet© directly to the metal; surfaces of the handgun.

The Transfer Sheets
:© these transfers are printed on Tom White's newest generation transfer media, and they are transferred to the firearm using Transfer Magic. The engravers who tested the product tell us that they are able to re-use the transfers up to five times. The sheets contain an entire set (in multiples) of scroll transfers for a Single Acvtion Army revolver.

Photos:
Top - Acrylic Casting©
2nd - Transfer Sheet©
3rd - Turnbull Open Range by Mike Dubber
4th - Colt SAA by Les Schowe
Both examples engraved using the Dubber/Schowe Transfer System©

The Castings included with the Complete Kit are from molds of original Steel Master Plates executed by Mike and Les. They illustrate the kind of of artistic appeal that has been applied to Colt engraving for the past 150 years. Castings are included with the Complete Kit for the engraver to see and study detail, background and depth of cuts. The hand engraved lines are not static, they are not flat, and they are not mechanical, single-dimension lines cut into steel. These cuts change, flair, and diminish as they are cut...what is referred to as 'Beveling the Cut." The detail and shading lines create another layer of interest for the viewer, and various background treatments create yet another. The casting displays various ways of shading scrolls and leaves, and there are several background treatments that work to contribute to the overall appeal of the finished work. Those layers of interest enhance what woud otherwise be flat and uninteresting scroll patterns.

Check out the new products at www.engravingtransfers.com

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Re: The new Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System
Mike and Les
I had the privilege to test this system and it works great,as Tim said the transfers can be used over and over. I used it on a US Firearms colt clone, And on a Ruger single six. Great product for us artistry challenged types. I also bought the second set and am waiting for the development on more designs.
I will post some photos later.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sandy,

Right now Mike is generating the designs for the Winchester Model 94 which will be our next product - followed by a design set for the Colt Model 1911. We will both work on cutting the Master Plate, and then Mike will generate the castings and I will generate the transparencies. Lot of work, but we hope to get this new product out in a month and a half or so. Hopefully the 1911 will be released a couple of months after that.

Any comments on our schedule or other products would be greatly appreciated.

Les Schowe

Ironwood

Good Stuff!

Hello Mike and Les,
Great designs and I love the fact that they are historically correct. I am fairly new to engraving and have tried the wax transfer on an old casting without much luck. I had a heck of a time seeing the design. Do you have any tips other than the obvious.....Stick with the transparencies!
I am looking forward to your future products as well.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I just received my Dubber/Schowe Engraving Transfer System and I have to say that this is a great product that can be used by both beginner and professional engravers. For instance, while I draw all of my own designs, if a customer wanted a historically accurate Single Action Army engraving job, I would have to do some serious study and drawing to make that happen, as it's a unique style that is different than what I normally do. With this system Mike & Les have done all the research and layouts for me, and I could get a nice SAA done in record time, knowing the end result going to look great.

For beginner or intermediate engravers who want to explore gun engraving, this system might save you a lot of money, as there have been many, many engravers (including me) who, early in their careers, turned thousand-dollar guns into hundred dollar guns with poorly designed engraving. If your design skills are not up to par yet, the end result can still be pleasing if you use this kit, and with some decent cutting will most likely enhance the value of the gun as opposed to decreasing its value. If your cutting is smooth and precise, following the designs in this transfer system can produce fabulous results. In fact, I would think that an engraver could make good money engraving SAAs and using this transfer kit.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your very kind comments about our products.
This whole adventure has been very challenging and very time consuming for both Mike and myself. I guess that I never realized how much work was involved in starting a new business (I am sure that you can identify with all of the work that it must have taken you to get engraverscafe up and running). We are still working out the bugs and I hope that we can soon get to generating the new product kits for the Winchester Model 94 and the Colt Model 1911, and then beyond.

Thanks again,
Les

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Winchester Model 94

Hi Everyone,

Mike has asked me to post his work-in-progress on the Winchester Model 94 design casting. He is off the the Ohio Gun Collectors Show and will not have time to post until next week. This will eventually be made into the casting for the kit, and I will generate the transfer sheets. The final casting will, of course, be fully shaded my Mike and myself before it is released.

I think that we are on schedule,

Les Schowe

Attachments

• WIN94.jpg
    WIN94.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 787

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
The Winchester 94 Design Casting is moving along

Hi everyone,
Mike has just finished cutting the outline cuts on the design casting plate for the Winchester model 94 transfer kit. He has sent the plate to me so that I can start the process of developing the transfer sheets. I "inked" the cuts and took a photo of the plate and am including the photo here for your review.

Les Schowe

Attachments

• Win94_plate_2LR.jpg
    Win94_plate_2LR.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 716

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
This plate is engraved with scrolls 'reminiscent" of the LD Ninschke style. As with our original Colt SAA patterns, I want each of the transfer Kits to reflect the history and style of engraving as it might have been done in the early years of production of that firearm.

Sam

Staff member
Fantastic, Mike! Obviously a ton of time and effort into this project.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Everyone,
I have just finished engraving my third Single Action Army revolver. This is a Colt, .45, 7 1/2 inch barrel, third generation. The photos are obviously taken before the gun has been blued. I will have it charcoal blued. I used the 2010 Engraving Transfer Pattern to engrave this gun.

Attachments

• ColtSAA_RighttSide.jpg
    ColtSAA_RighttSide.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 333
  • ColtSAA_top.jpg
    ColtSAA_top.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 332
  • ColtSAA_LeftSide.jpg
    ColtSAA_LeftSide.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 330
  • ColtSAA_bottom.jpg
    ColtSAA_bottom.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 329

Sam

Staff member
That is really super! The hi-res photos are just excellent, as is the engraving.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys for the very kind words. Tomorrow morning the gun will be shipped to Turnbull Mfg. to have it Charcoal blued and the screws nitir blued. I need to have it ready for the Colt Collectors Show in Denver in Oct. The charcoal blue should look really quite nice with the gold. I will post more photos when I get the gun back.

Also, if anyone is interested, the grips are ivory and they were installed by Jim Aliamo at Nutmeg Sports. He supplies a letter with the grips and, I think, does an exceptionally nice job for a very reasonable price. If anyone would like his contact info please send a PM.

Les

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Photos of my Colt SAA after bluing

Hi Everyone,
I am attaching the photos of my Colt Single Action Army Revolver after charcoal bluing by Turnbull Manufacturing (the screws are nitre blued). I think that Turnbull has done a beautiful job here.
Since the forum has to reduce the resolution do to space considerations, the full resolution photos can be found at:
http://www.engravingtransfers.com/page26.html

Les Schowe

Attachments

• ColtSaa1_LeftSide.jpg
    ColtSaa1_LeftSide.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 184
  • ColtSaa1_RightSide.jpg
    ColtSaa1_RightSide.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 181
  • ColtSaa1_Top.jpg
    ColtSaa1_Top.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 175