something simple and usefull

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This probably is too simple to mention, but it is a good tip for those who perhaps may not have think about this. When you do stone setting using those mm stones, sometimes one drops. If they fall in one of those holes in your heavy weight vise, you will say "damn".
I solved that problem cutting some covering sheets from lead sheet. Easy to do and they also are useful when you tighten something in your vise to make it fit better and to prevent scratches.

arnaud

Attachments

• leadonvise.jpg
    leadonvise.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a good idea.. i dont set stones, but was having problems of "junk" getting down in my vise holes. i just cut pieces of refrigerator magnets to cover the holes when needed.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't cover the holes. I would rather they get trapped there than on my messy bench. I also lay a towel on my lap.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Lead jaws for the vice are nothing new,we gun engravers have been using them for years,make my own from tire balancing weights.J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, sometimes it happens some have to invent the warm water again. I never read that one about the lead jaws. So I'm probably the first sharing this , still a good one it seems as you even make more effort to make those

arnaud

JJ Roberts

I also have padded wood blocks and brass jaws for my vises.Arnaud there are other forums to explore,your only one click away from a new idea. J.J.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, yes covering with tape is what I did first too, but then you have to take it of, some glue will still be there on your vise, yes it works but I prefer the lead laps.
But hey, we all are free to use a vise the way we like, "there is no vise police yet"

arnaud

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonard, if you would like to test this to find out, just write "Chris DeCamillis" in your post on Steve's.
Steve has a detector build in his website software that warns him and then you are automatic out.

arnaud

Last edited:

mrthe

I don't think Steve banned you on his forum just to write the name of Christian DeCamillis in a post, if you have been banned maybe had be because you have breaking his forum rules

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Take this discussion elsewhere. I'm tired of hearing about forum unfairness.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How thick is that lead sheet you used? It looks like you were able to bend it without it breaking. If you look at photos from Italian and Belgian gun engravers vises, most often you will see them holding a gun action in lead cauls to cover the vise jaws.

I tried to bend some but they broke. I learned at the engrave in from Kurt Horvath that they cast those "L" shaped cauls, he had a tool there to do it with. He studied under Griffnee and others so it makes sense how he learned. I always wondered how they got all that thick lead to bend and form around the shoulders of a vise without it breaking at the bend; they didn't, they cast it that way.

JJ Roberts

Tim..How thick probably 1/4"..made from the wheel weights from balancing tires...I have a small antique
square frying pan about 5 1/2" square & about a little over 1/4" deep. I melt the weights into the frying pan..after they cool..I take one at a time..tightened it into the vise..take a ball peen hammer & pound it until it forms around the jaw...take that out & form the other piece of lead around the other jaw. You have to do one at a time. Hope this works for you.
JJ

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 94

JJ Roberts

Doc,The advantage for the lead jaw is they hold odd shape gun parts really tight & on all angles,like a rifle or shot gun action.Maybe I should have put a part in the vise and then taken the picture.Hope this is some help.These lead jaws fit both my GRS Mag & LeTourneau vises. J.J.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors