Trombone Mouth Piece

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a recent project that I finished. It's a trombone mouthpiece (brass) that was silver plated after the engraving. It's the first customer piece that I completed entirely on the new En-Set engraving machine.
trombonemouthpiecesi20120525-15.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, Tira!

What a nice mouthpiece, you can toot your own horn with pride here!

I am just back online after four days in the wilderness, camping my way from the Pacific to Colorado Springs, hitch hiking a ride with a buddy heading for Boston, I am now visiting my sister here, and will soon see our colleague, Dave London, just five minutes away after I spend some family time catching up.

Had a wonderful overnight on the seven acres of Sam Welch's homestead near Moab, which was a total delight in every way. Later, with his permission, I may post a bit about all of that.

Stay tuned

best

Rod

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Tira, seems you already are getting used to the En-Set. Yes so do I. Great control at the low speed with enough power.
Of course you are ahead using the En-Set at Basel for a week, I only recently have mine
Looks real nice.

regards, arno

mrthe

Very nice congratulations! have not to be very easy engrave this type of objects for his size and the curved surface !

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I will write an review about Chris Decamillis new tool soon. But it takes a bit of time to explore its pro's and contras on real jobs.
I tested it in Basel Swiss were I met Chris, Jordi Tira and Leonardo, and I was convinced this tool would be great for me being a goldsmith, stone setter engraver like Chris himself.
So if Chris had to make a new tool, especially for his kind of jobs, I thought it would work for me as well, and it does so far.

arnaud

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Brian! Yup, the tight turns and obstructions are a constant on a piece like this. The most critical area was the tight turn just at the base near the stem on the mouth piece. The tool definitely helped make the project relaxed and fun due to the ability to slow down in those areas to navigate with confidence. I also cut fairly deep in one pass on most of the lines. I didn't have to go over much of it at all a second or third time because with the relaxed control I could just cut and didn't slip or skid once. Hope to do some more of these - I love doing the musical instruments.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, Arnaud,

By all means it is best to have a review after a good long experience of this new power graver with its interesting speed control, so thank you for taking time before you write, and I hope others will also share.

Rod

mrthe

i have try the Enset-plus a few months ago , but me too i haven't make a review , in my spanish forum too because i think like Arnaud, the best way to make it is wait and test the tool in all his possible applications to see his pro and cons( for example i own the En-Sharp the new power hone with speed variation from Syenset and i love it) expecially because is a tool that work in a different way and if you don't own it only you can explain yours first sensation, that for me was good , very good for certain type of works,but maybe for my way of working, expecially after a long time using a palm control is not the tool more indicated for me, me too i will wait ansious a extended review from people that own it.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The customer sent this picture along today. It's always a pleasure to see where your artwork actually lands so to speak. Many times I send something away and request a picture that never comes. Fortunately this time I received a few. Here it is on a euphonium. The mouth piece is also used on a trombone and can be switched between the instruments.

Attachments

• EuphoniumSmall.jpg
    EuphoniumSmall.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 78

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
That is inspiring Tira. I played baritone once upon a long time ago...also an E flat Althorn which is a very small version of a baritone and the easiest and most fun instrument I played.

Keep up the great work!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, I used a basic "C" clamp, some thermo-lock and a plastic bag so that the thermo-lock did not touch the mirror polish on the mouthpiece. In the attached picture the back part of the fixture also had thermo-lock holding the piece. That part fell off when I softened the thermo-lock to loosen the mouthpiece.

Attachments

• MouthpieceHolderSm.jpg
    MouthpieceHolderSm.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Sponsors