An email I received today

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
A pennies worth why are we wasting time on the subject if this person wishes to engrave by push or H&C let it be so, As blacksmith_wills stated one arm air tool seems the best way other wise for him it would be like the one legged man in a Arse kicking contest. Or is a writer not a writer if they use a computer save on sharpening the pencil. Skill and talent with any type of tools is something that many people envy, and to the emailer open your eyes ( thats assuming that you aren't blind from working by candle light) and have a good look at the quality of engraving done here in the UK and overseas using power tools and the people using them are they any less skilled than traditional hand pushed work, GET A LIFE and come into the real world.:mad:

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
"If it's not hand engraving.... then why do I use my hands?"

Thats because you haven't learned the proper way.
Graver goes in left ear,hammer hits right ear,look ma' no hands

Same could be said about manual machines,eg. pantograph, mill,lathe.

mike

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What's in a name? I will start H&C shortly when I have the tools for that I ordered. I use the Graversmith, the En-set, do some hand pushing too, but most of the jobs I show here are done by the little fellows, the gnomes, when I'm a sleep. Never had a customer who noticed that. Yes sometimes customers ask about the stippled mushrooms in my shop, " for inspiration" I tell them.

Anyway, this is quite a quite similar tread as the one on “Newbie sharpening set upâ€￾. In my opinion, as we are human, and we were capable to make tools to do better jobs, why would we make fire using stones? Yes I know how as it is basic knowledge, but that doesn’t mean I do it that way.
So perhaps Sam’s customer in the UK is a sort of “Amishâ€￾ as indeed for some people time stood still.

arnaud

mrthe

Arnaud ... but ....,,,your gnomes use H&C , push or pneumatic tools?

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud
Forget the Gnomes they are lazy little buggers go to the market and buy a jar of Fairies and get the ones that the sun shines out of their backside that way your electricity bill will be lower and if you keep them in the back room with no windows they will work 24/7 turning out hand crafted Master pieces to sell in the shop that should give you time to play with the En-set :handpiece:
Ray

Andrew Biggs

To all the Luddites out there

I admit it..................I'm a Philistine.

But I'm a very happy and busy Philistine ............... and so are my customers.

In fact I may change my name to Philistine Arts, promoting the art of traditional foot control air assisted pneumatic engraving........... It has a nice sexy ring to it.

I nominate Mike (tundratrekers) for the Engravers Cafe inaugural Brown Arm award :)

Cheers
Andrew

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Mike's argument is about false advertisement, he feels the work created by powered gravers using non-hand sharpened gravers is machine quality and you are cheating the public. He wants you to tell the public that you use a machine to create your work because you are unable to do it yourself. He says you are simple machine operators and anyone could easily take your place, after all its all done with machines right? Funny not everyone who buys a power graver shortly thereafter becomes a Master engraver, I wonder why? I wonder Mike have you ever tried a power graver? Did the ease of how the graver just knew how to engrave amaze you? How about when you took a break it just kept right on cutting away at the pattern, pretty cool huh? All you need to do is just keep pouring money into the little hole on the top and all your engraving problems go right out the window.

Bob

mrthe

Hey !!!we want various category and 4 nomination for each one like the Oscars to can vote the winners XD

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Brown arm? I'm almost afraid to ask but I may be the next recipient and will want to know the meaning of my accolades. So tell me, while I still have time to change my evil ways, what is a Brown Arm award?

Bob

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob, here is a brown arm warmer, perhaps you will need one. :biggrin:

http://www.etsy.com/search?includes[]=tags&q=brown+arm+warmers

arnaud

Andrew Biggs

Hi Red

Brown arm is slang down here for a person that stirs a pot full of a certain substance.............I'll let your imagination draw that picture. :)

I propose that we break down the engraving arts to categories.

Luddites and Philistines.

Luddites can have certain categories like hand push and hammer and chisel. So you would be a HP Luddite or a HC Luddite. If you do both then you would be a HPHC Luddite and if you throw in hand sharpening you would be a HSHPHS Luddite. Add a loupe to the mix and you would be a HSHPHSL Luddite.

Philistines could be FCPCATPHTM Philistines. Translated that means foot control, palm control, Air Tact, power hone, template, microscope Philistine.....and on it goes.

Then the cafe coluld be renamed the HSHPHSLFCPCATPHTM Cafe......think of the marketing opportunites with that one!!!

That way the customer will really know what they are getting and eliminate any confusion :)

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LOL great idea Andrew, I have to wait till tomorrow to find out in which category I will be in, I promise to stay sober tomorrow until I found out.

arnaud , aka: SPEDDAGPECIADFSHA

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam A,

Why not change the Cafe logo to reflect the air tools as opposed to the push graver currently in use?
Was wondering about the FEGA logo also.
Seeing as its not a requirement to know how to use old school tools,or how to sharpen.

mike

The Cafe' logo is up to Sam but I can speak for the FEGA logo. When we started FEGA everyone used burins, a hammer, chisels and a vise. Even today just about every FEGA member has a hammer, burins, a chisel or two and a vise in their shop regardless of their primary method of engraving. Just because technology advances, an organization does not change their identifying symbols that connect them with their origins. If they did the US Army infantry would have changed their crossed musket insignia five times until in the 1960's our collar brass would have had crossed M16s. When I retired from the cavalry in 2003 we still wore crossed sabers as a symbol of our origins. In any case, if the members of FEGA want to change it we can but I doubt if we will.

RB

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon same attitude when I was a LEO, not much changes. To Sam,s friend the faux Luddite get a grip
Or perhaps Sam could start the Luddite Cafe, but you can only comment on hand made animal skins using charcoal or blood and turkey quill , transported by sailing ships to the edge of the earth for there be dragons

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew
As a retired Master Plumber we call that honey buckets or brown trout, some insensitive folks called us turd herders , but the pay was great;)

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, for some reason I think I may be on some peoples short list for that award. Gee will it be like a brown arm where it says "Elite Cafe Member" or will it say "Brown Arm Award 2012"?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.