An email I received today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I won't mention names, but I received this short and sweet email from a gold or silversmith in the UK today.

"Lovely work – but if you are using a machine – IT ISN’T hand engraving !!"

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did you tell them "Yep, exactly"! I lock my shop at night & when I return in the morning, the "engraving machine" has done it all.......all I do is sign my name?!?! How else do you explain the fabulous work?

Hand Engraving:100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!!

Ha ha ha,

Weldon

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Of course, if you're using electric lights, it isn't traditional. Must walk to work, or at most horse and buggy. Have to hand polish everything (I mean REALLY hand polish), can't use modern cut gems, has to be before Watt invented the steam engine.
Such a limiting attitude. I have run into that here, from fellow jewelers, and my responses are among those offered. The final one is, let's compare engraving! That usually shuts them up for a few moments! LOL

Sam,

That is fine, provided the person trying to keep the art form historically correct and pure remembers to use the traditional methods, tools, and techniques of the "Old European Master Hand Engravers".

So, I assume that he or she is using historically correct blister steel for their gravers. The true Masters of the Art before the turn of the century did not have or use high carbon alloys or tool steels for gravers.

Crocker graver sharpeners are of course an unneeded "gadget" that prevents a true student of "Hand Engraver" from learning the proper sharpening skills over several years.

This is all tongue in cheek of course. I'm trying to get those who spew out such nonsense to look in the mirror.

If the work done by air graver or hammer and chisel or by push graving is a thing of beauty when it's finished the technique matters not one bit.

Respectfully,

Matt

(Apprentice and self proclaimed American Beginning Gadget Engraver)

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well, without absolute definition for the term "hand engraving" the interruption is left to the individual. Perhaps what they are doing is also not "hand engraving" by the standards of say 3 to 5 hundred years ago. Perhaps the term should be limited to those who only use the tools used by the first engravers, were they not the only "hand engravers"? All the lazy fake hand engravers that came after them are just not the same. What would that be? A hard stone set in a antler tip? A nice wooden baton, squint and there you go. Oh wait, maybe they only pushed the graver or maybe just held the stone in their hands, what's a little blood in the name of art? That must be where the term "hand engraver" came from, over the years people just dropped the bloody part. So all who wish to become "bloody hand engravers" say aye. :)

Bob

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Its not that the technique matters in the least.

Its how it is labeled and portrayed to the buyers as hand engraving.

If Hand engraving weren't a marketing aspect,then those using power tools would
appropriately say ,power assisted,or pneumatic engraving.

Why be afraid of disclosure,or adopting modern terms for modern techniques.

It is because the words Hand Engraving,conjures up images of the old world craftsman,working by candle.

That is the reason few want any distinction made between the two,because it MAY effect salability,or image in the customers mind.

Unless that is done,then there will be no way for the buyer who may desire pure hand work,to know which is which.

How will it look to the layman,to see two engravers in adjoining booths at a show.
One using manual tools,the other,power.
Yet both are claiming to be hand engraving.
Whats the person(s) to think,they will of course say the manual tools are true hand engraving.

By not developing appropriate terminology,it is mis information,and deceptive,and does not allow the customer to make an informed decision.
Also,the potential student,does not know there are different "schools" of technique/training.

mike

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I'd bet the "hand engraving" term means nothing to almost every customer looking for custom engraving the term seems to mean a great deal to engravers, especially to those who shun power assist pneumatic gadgets. Perhaps we should rename non-powered hand engraving to "manual labor engraving" has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Bob

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
They sell these cheap carbide scribes,labeled as hand engravers.
Also rotary engravers.
Why then do we correct those who mistakenly call what they do hand engraving?

Because we don't want the public mis informed,also the student.
Why the resistance to call a spade a spade.
What is the problem with advertising as powered engraving,or just engraving.
Because it may then be confused with machine engraving?
Or simply pneumatic engraving.
Lasers are lasers,cnc is cnc, power assist is ,well,power assist.

Diane,my feet still work,so no NEED for a horse.

mike

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
It's a long way down! Being a purist is always tough. Good luck!
So, do you drive? Use electricity? Have a water pump (powered by electricity) or are you only hard core when it comes to engraving technique?

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Going to power for me was like being in the lawn care business. It was like I used to have a non-motorized rotary push mower and now I have a 6 foot wide 5 blade riding power mower with air conditioned cab. Now when I mow a gulf course I can do it better, faster and cheaper than I could ever do with my push mower. I enjoy the work more too as my body doesn't ache at the end of the day from the heavy strain and my customer appreciates the more economical price and doesn't care how I did it because the look is the same or even better as my old hand pushed work.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I think you should confess to your customers that you do not have modern tooling. And should put a sign out front saying 'manual labor engraving only' ;).

Bob

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HAND ENGRAVING – Engraving executed by a hand engraver using a burin, a bulino, a chisel or a graver mounted in a power tool and controlled in an entirely freehand manner. In general usage,â€￾ hand engravingâ€￾ usually refers to engraved objects de Art, jewelry, items of utility such as guns or knives, or musical instruments as contrasted with “engravingâ€￾ which is understood to indicate engraved printing plates or wood blocks for the reproduction of art or banknotes.*

HAND ENGRAVER/FREEHAND ENGRAVER – One who engraves into metal with a graver, either manually or power driven, which the engraver controls entirely freehand. A hand engraver can be contrasted to a machine engraver who performs the set-up of an engraving machine after which the machine performs the engraving either by electric or manual power.*

"The skilled hand is what defines hand engraving, not the style of tool that holds the graver." **

"The industrial revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race." ***

* Roger Bleile's International, Illustrated Glossary of Hand-Engraving Terminology
** American Engravers-The 21st Century-Page 40
*** Theodore Kaczynski, also known as the Unabomber

The faux Luddites who pick and choose forms of technology (such as the Internet) that suit their own lifestyle, while decrying those that do not fit their romantic or sentimental notions relating to a particular trade or art, will never be disuaded from their own lofty assertions of historical authenticity and purity so my comments here are for those reading with an open mind.

I can certainly understand why someone who is a living history buff or one who engraves as a hobby would want to perpetuate the knowledge and skills of the past and more power to them. But those I have met who are so inclined usually do not denigrate others who use modern tools to make a hard earned living as a handcraft artisan.

For example, unless one uses only the same tools available to Jesus, is it wrong to refer to a person as a carpenter? Unless one uses only the same tools available to Benvenuto Cellini, is it wrong to refer to a person as a goldsmith? Unless one uses only the same tools available to Michelangelo Buonarroti, is it wrong to refer to a person as a sculpter? (By the way, stone sculptors have been using pneumatically powered chisels since the first air-powered stone carving hammer was introduced by Trow & Holden in 1890)

CRB

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
"...but if you are using a machine – IT ISN’T hand engraving !!"

Maybe It looks like this:
:handpiece:

Let the latter to push "stop" and put out the lamp....

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
To the person who wrote this to Sam. For old school engravers it is hard to see that a craft where you have been training for for years now with power assisted engraving is disappearing. Sam is a superb engraver who i'm sure is capable to work with a push graver and the H&C method. So in a certain way you could say this isn't 'hand' engraving. But believe these machines still need guidance by the hand, still you need a Masters hand to steer it, to control it. So even with these power assisted engraving although the start is easier you still will see the difference between a Master and hobbyist.

But engravers should be honest if they use it the should mention; Power assisted engraving.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike, I think you asked some good questions in your posts. Thanks for putting them out there.

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
Following the same guidelines the fellow down the street who is building a house using a circular saw, power drill, air powered nail gun and a cement mixer instead of panel saw, bit and brace, a hammer and mixing the concrete on a board obviously can't call his house hand built.

Don't know about you but one of my greatest joys is watching a craftsman who knows what he is doing at work.

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I figured this would turn out to be a lively thread :)

As for disclosure, I've always had my equipment list on my websites and have youtube videos with tens of thousands of views which show me engraving with one of those newfangled GRS handpieces. At the same time I don't think anyone is obligated to explain their engraving methods. That's just plain ridiculous.

In 30+ years as a hand engraver I've never lost a single commission because a customers insisted I push by hand or use hammer & chisel or not get the job.

The person that wrote me expresses concern about losing traditional methods. That's fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.