Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default An email I received today

I won't mention names, but I received this short and sweet email from a gold or silversmith in the UK today.

"Lovely work – but if you are using a machine – IT ISN’T hand engraving !!"

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

2. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Sad-Ignorance is bliss I guess-Fred
    Want to learn to engrave, "cut an inch a Day every Day" Jim Small
    Fred Marrinan

4. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you tell them "Yep, exactly"! I lock my shop at night & when I return in the morning, the "engraving machine" has done it all.......all I do is sign my name?!?! How else do you explain the fabulous work?

Hand Engraving:100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!!

Ha ha ha,

Weldon
    "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends". John 15:13

http://www.weldonlister.com

http://weldonlister-engraving.typepa...ter-engraving/

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go again!

7. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, if you're using electric lights, it isn't traditional. Must walk to work, or at most horse and buggy. Have to hand polish everything (I mean REALLY hand polish), can't use modern cut gems, has to be before Watt invented the steam engine.
    Such a limiting attitude. I have run into that here, from fellow jewelers, and my responses are among those offered. The final one is, let's compare engraving! That usually shuts them up for a few moments! LOL

9. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

That is fine, provided the person trying to keep the art form historically correct and pure remembers to use the traditional methods, tools, and techniques of the "Old European Master Hand Engravers".

So, I assume that he or she is using historically correct blister steel for their gravers. The true Masters of the Art before the turn of the century did not have or use high carbon alloys or tool steels for gravers.

Crocker graver sharpeners are of course an unneeded "gadget" that prevents a true student of "Hand Engraver" from learning the proper sharpening skills over several years.

This is all tongue in cheek of course. I'm trying to get those who spew out such nonsense to look in the mirror.

If the work done by air graver or hammer and chisel or by push graving is a thing of beauty when it's finished the technique matters not one bit.

Respectfully,

Matt

(Apprentice and self proclaimed American Beginning Gadget Engraver)
    Last edited by blacksmith_wills; 06-21-2012 at 04:35 AM. Reason: I was a little overboard in my response. Toned it down.

11. Likes atexascowboy2011, Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, without absolute definition for the term "hand engraving" the interruption is left to the individual. Perhaps what they are doing is also not "hand engraving" by the standards of say 3 to 5 hundred years ago. Perhaps the term should be limited to those who only use the tools used by the first engravers, were they not the only "hand engravers"? All the lazy fake hand engravers that came after them are just not the same. What would that be? A hard stone set in a antler tip? A nice wooden baton, squint and there you go. Oh wait, maybe they only pushed the graver or maybe just held the stone in their hands, what's a little blood in the name of art? That must be where the term "hand engraver" came from, over the years people just dropped the bloody part. So all who wish to become "bloody hand engravers" say aye.

Bob

13. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not that the technique matters in the least.

Its how it is labeled and portrayed to the buyers as hand engraving.

If Hand engraving weren't a marketing aspect,then those using power tools would
    appropriately say ,power assisted,or pneumatic engraving.

Why be afraid of disclosure,or adopting modern terms for modern techniques.

It is because the words Hand Engraving,conjures up images of the old world craftsman,working by candle.

That is the reason few want any distinction made between the two,because it MAY effect salability,or image in the customers mind.

Unless that is done,then there will be no way for the buyer who may desire pure hand work,to know which is which.

How will it look to the layman,to see two engravers in adjoining booths at a show.
    One using manual tools,the other,power.
    Yet both are claiming to be hand engraving.
    Whats the person(s) to think,they will of course say the manual tools are true hand engraving.

By not developing appropriate terminology,it is mis information,and deceptive,and does not allow the customer to make an informed decision.
    Also,the potential student,does not know there are different "schools" of technique/training.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Tundra. I would guess your horse to be at least 19-20 hands. Good luck getting off!

16. Likes DakotaDocMartin, mitch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet the "hand engraving" term means nothing to almost every customer looking for custom engraving the term seems to mean a great deal to engravers, especially to those who shun power assist pneumatic gadgets. Perhaps we should rename non-powered hand engraving to "manual labor engraving" has a nice ring to it doesn't it?

Bob

18. Likes Paulie, diandwill liked this post