More fun with Titanium

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks real nice.
A question, how did you reach that green colour? what volt and liquid?
I understand you first coloured the Ti, then engraved it and coloured the cuts at a lower volt.

arnaud

delder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Arnaud..... Voltage was 87, liquid was Tri sodium phosphate. I lightly sandblast the surface before coloring. The color seems to deepen as a result.

willy

Hi, Arnaud;
I like all your Ti pieces, and read all your posts.
I have a question.
I am working on some pure Ti, grade 2; I just finished building an anodizer, and want to make myself a color chart with polished Ti strips, try difference voltage.
The question is how you polish titanium, mine gets orange peel.
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Willy

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willy, for polishing Ti there is only one that does the job real nice. I have tried all polishing block, and this one from A*F Swiss works great. It is meant for Pt

Here is the a catalogue that shows it http://www.afswitzerland.com/pn/Products/Outils%20horlogers.pdf
It is this one as on the photo

It is great Willy that you did read all my posts, but you did overlook one. Here I answer the same question. http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?8372-Titanium.&highlight=swiss+polishing

arnaud

Last edited:

willy

Arnaud;
Thanks for your reply.
How do you avoid getting Orange peel effect on your titanium piece ?
When you polish your work, what kind of wheel do you use, low/hight speed (rpm) ?
Yes, I did over look that one, because I pick your name (the one who posts the thread) to read.
Thanks again.
Willy

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willy, before starting to polish, the Ti has to be sandpapered extremely well, op to 2000 grid. That Orange peel effect, I doesn't happen op my work, perhaps you use a different Ti alloy.

arnaud

WyldStyl3

Hi, Arnaud;
I like all your Ti pieces, and read all your posts.
I have a question.
I am working on some pure Ti, grade 2; I just finished building an anodizer, and want to make myself a color chart with polished Ti strips, try difference voltage.
The question is how you polish titanium, mine gets orange peel.
Any suggestion is welcomed.
Willy

I can polish ti all day long, but how do you get the orange peel effect? That's what I'm trying to get with mediocre results.