+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie sharpening set up

What does a newbie need to set up a proper sharpening set up for engraving tools?

Power hone? Lindsay templates???

Thanks,
    Bobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bobby,If you can,get both.I have a power hone & Lindsay's templates.J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA
    www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver
    www.jjrobertsengraver.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sharpened my gravers for many years using this technique.

Obviously a good sharpening system is best.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sam This is a really good idea!

I always sharpen my gravers by hand like i learn at Leon Mignon. But if you really want a template why buy them make them your self do some calculations it's so simple.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what's really needed and not just for us newbie's is a trained monkey to do the roughing out.

Bob

Bram,

Sam is still working on the demagnetizer calculations, poor mrthe, so don't distract him right now.
    Last edited by Red Green; 06-15-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: missed Bram's post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you're looking for something on the cheap, my advice is a GRS Dual Angle fixture and a whetstone. That works really well and you're not locked in to fixed template angles. Many say templates are easier but having the freedom to change graver geometry quickly and easily (and infinitely) outweighs that. Both fixed geometry templates and adjustable fixtures have their place, and every engraver has his or her preferences.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that make your own templates is a bad idea is not easy like people can think ,expecially for people that haven't great experience in sharpening,i remember when i was working with Steve to my templates set, that an error of only 0,5 mm can give problems,save your time and your money,and if you want use templates buy the Lindsay system and you will have ever good sharpened gravers that is very important,after that you can use templates and stones,templates and power hone ( i have buy the en-sharp few months ago and i use it with templates) or power hone and dual fixture,if you can afford a power hone go For it,but for starting templates and diamond stones work perfect and are not very expensive.
    Last edited by mrthe; 06-15-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Get stones ,and a loupe to inspect tip.
    You WILL be far ahead in the LONG RUN,to make the commitment to learn free hand sharpening.
    Then you can use ANY graver,in ANY shape, templates will ALWAYS limit your choices of available tools to choose from.
    mike

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

I don't and don't think an inexperienced engraver would know what angles to change and why. I understand many engravers use only a few different points for all they engrave. Do you change your graver geometry often? I would bet you could sharpen an old nail on a suitable rock and come up with a usable graver, however, we mere mortals would be lost. I felt I should trust the experienced engravers and use what they use and not make changes until I understood why.

Mike,

How many months or years should be dedicated to this endeavor? What is a newbie to learn engraving or engraver sharpening? It is a very important part of engraving but why spend so much time on a mechanical process?

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bob: I have had detailed sharpening instructions on iGraver.com for years, so it's not like there are no instructions out there, plus with the helpful members on the forum a newbie sharpener can be up and running quickly. I can't say I change my graver geometry often, but I use the same dual angle fixture to sharpen a variety of gravers (flats, squares, 120s), so I'm dialing in different angles for whatever I'm sharpening at the moment. I might change things if it's stubbornly hard material so I like the freedom of changing and fine tuning a degree or two to suit my needs.

As for totally freehand sharpening, I see no benefit in that whatsoever. Just my humble opinion.