Help, please: Demagnetising tool?

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
After purchasing one of these...

and successfully 'magnetising' everything in my workshop :rolleyes: I then went and bought this one...

It must be user error, as I'm still struggling to 'demagnetise' things. (gravers)
It's very hit and miss whether I get it right or wrong.
I tend to pick up more metal than I leave behind! :confused:

Is there a right way to use this item? As in, left to right, right to left? When to press button?
I've successfully managed it once, but can't remember how! :thinking:

Many thanks,

Jo

mrthe

Interesting theme,i have bought the first one in the photo and don't work,i have see that demagnetize only if i insert the graver in the center of the demagnetizer hole and i move it away very slowly but is not perfect ,i want buy too the second,in another post i think that Andrew say that use one of this and work well,maybe you have only to put the graver on the demagnetizer and press the button for a few of seconds?
I'm very interested in know how use correctly this tool too !

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I've heard several people mention that the first one didn't work for them, but the second one did.
On that basis I ordered it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it except 'user error' :)

As I mentioned, I did manage to successfully demagnise a graver once. I think the technique was drawing the graver across the machine slowly, whilst holding the button down. But I'm not too sure if there's a certain way to achieve consistent results, or if most people find it a bit 'hit or miss'.

Jo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Andrew Biggs

From memory, because I haven't had the need to use it for a long time now..............you put the graver on the matt square, press the button and slowly pull the graver upwards.

The interesting thing is that for a while my gravers were getting magnetized. Then it just stopped............goodness knows :)

Cheers
Andrew

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Ahhhh, pulling it up! I didn't think of that!

What? You mean you've lost your magnetic personality? Check behind the sofa, that's where I find most of the things I lose! :)

Jo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's how I do it. Pull slowly staight up.
Andrew... I think it is because of the counter rotation thing of the southern hemisphere!!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hold the graver just over the demagnetiser so that when you press the button you can feel it start to pull. I then move the graver slowly to the right until it's clear of the demagnetiser. That seems to work for me. I've never tried the straight up method. The important thing is not to let the graver make contact with it.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When I use mine, I look into a mirror and rotate the graver anti-clockwise to 45° and then raise is slowly while rotating it back to its original position. Then throw some salt over my left shoulder and tap wood.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
The important thing is not to let the graver make contact with it.

Ah!!! That could explain a lot! Thanks Marcus. :thumbsup:

When I use mine, I look into a mirror and rotate the graver anti-clockwise to 45° and then raise is slowly while rotating it back to its original position. Then throw some salt over my left shoulder and tap wood.

Sam, I think you'll also find it help when the Moss is growing on the lee side of the tree too! ;)

Last edited:

Jeroen

Here is a selfmade one. Boxed and the interior of the box.
To magnetize (if you might want to) you push the botton and slowly put the graver (or whatever) in the hole. To demagnetize you put the graver in the hole, then push the button and while pushing the button slowly take the graver out of the hole.
Works well.
Yours is the same, in a more 'decent' box, but should work the same way.
And as Marcus says: keep it in the middle of the hole, dan't let it make contact.

Jeroen

100_3246.jpg 100_3247.jpg

mrthe

thank you Jeroen , how you have build it? wich components you had used?

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Artemiss, Mrthe

The first example works great to magnetize something, but as a demagnetizer it is worthless

If you build your own demagnetizer as Jeroen has, It should work fine

A Demagnetizer is basically a coil of wire in which AC Current is applied for a very short time (wire gets hot) with the graver held in the center of the coil

I just want to caution you, this is powered by AC (Household current) :shock:

AC Current can Kill You

Make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt this project

If you don't understand AC Electricity get someone to help that does

Ken Crutcher

If the following are not shorted, this is what to look for

I have one like this, works great

The hole in the top of the box used to hold a magnetic compass, to test for magnetism

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WOO...371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d01eec283

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sou...932?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bd31f6b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-L-R-2-D...866?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bd3292b2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Demagnetize...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1d1db5d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-wat...Accessories_SpareParts_SM&hash=item4ab86aa361

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

I hate to say it.............but wouldn't it just be easier and a lot safer to buy one. They are only about (NZD) $20 down in this part of the world

These little units like Jo has posted work really well. I have no sense of adventure when it comes to DIY electrical appliances :)

Cheers
Andrew

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Just the thoughts of a novice, But when at school moons ago our instructor taught us when drilling steel and the drill bit began to magnetized to take it out turn it upside down and give it a sharp tap on a steel plate, the reason given was that when drilling the heat caused the molecular structure to ionize north south, by giving it a sharp tap you disrupted this molecular alignment. Correct flow of cutting fluid slowed this problem right down.
Interesting to hear you state that you hadn't used yours in a while Andrew, could this be that you have become very confident in the cuts you make so less time in the steel thus less heat or perhaps a better routine of dipping your graver
Just my thoughts please feel free to correct me if I'm way of track
Cheers Graham

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If you follow this simple formula, graver magnetism can be very easily avoided.

fake_math_problem.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam-

You left out the step "Then a miracle occurs..."

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
That is WAY too much work. I just put my gravers next to the flux capacitor in the Delorean and run it to 87 MPH. You just need to make sure you don't hit 88 MPH. You know what happens then...

Sponsors