Colt SAA gunsmthing

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I have a second generation Colt single action that I just finished engraving but is in need of a timing job. The bolt releases early just in front of the scooped out area that is in front of the cylinder knoch. This is leaving a drag mark on the cylinder........ My question is what causes this? and what is needed to correct it.

Thanks,

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Could be a worn bolt which is the part that sticks up out of the frame bottom and locks in that cylinder notch. Let me look some stuff up, I have the bible on that gun.

BJREBUCK

the process is too lengthy to post here. get kuhnhausens' book "the colt single action revolvers a
shop manual - vols. 1 & 2. it's covered in detail plus much more useful info.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's the book alright both volumes in one book now. The part in question is a hardened and "fitted" part meaning that you can't just get a new one and drop it in and expect it to work. I found that out years ago the hard way on one of my old Colt SAA's, the bolt leg snapped off the first time I pulled the hammer back.

Those bolts are brittle and hard and because of this they wear or can cut into a little cam on the side of the hammer (which is what lifts the bolt) to the extent that it can't fully do its job and this is one of the things that can cause this problem. The cam is usually softer than the bolt and when it's worn it reduces the effective height or throw that it needs to raise the leg, which lowers that bolt below or flush with the lower frame surface to get it out of the way.

I'd recommend sending it or taking it to a good gunsmith and let him take care of it as it is an exacting adjustment and the inexperienced person can easily ruin an otherwise perfectly good, yet sometimes hard to find part. I have one that I scoured the earth to find to go in my 1st generation SAA when I get it done. I plan however, to get all the timing work and fitting of the hand done before I cut it.

Incidentally, when I received the brand new model 29 S&W 44 magnum from the factory that was the prize for this years FEGA awards for "Best Engraved Handgun", I checked it out before sending it to the winner and brand-new out of the box it had a dang drag mark on the cylinder! Quality control dropped the ball on that one. Hopefully you can polish your mark out since it's engraved.

Call up Ralph Tuttle at Tuttle's Gun Store in Enumclaw, WA and tell him I sent you and ask for a reputable gunsmith around that Puget Sound area he's the only guy I know to ask. He deals in antique Winchesters, Colts and the like; hope he can point you in the right direction. Tim

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The usual solution is to drill out the old cam on the hammer and drill an oversized hole and fit an oversize cam. This is because the newer bolts have legs that are shorter than the originals.