finally done...

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
mostly ive been looking through here picking up info, tips, and inspiration. finally ive done something i want to post. im putting on my bullet proof vest and asking those with more experience than myself, "what can i do to make this better next time."
0507121414.jpg
i used photocopy and acetone to transfer the deaign, then dabbed with modeling clay touched up small details with pencil, and reduce the glare
0507121915.jpg
outlines are cut and inlay areas excivated and undercut with teeth raised.
0508121400.jpg
gold inlayed and sanded flush. starting with 600 wrapped around a small flat hardwood block, and working up in grit to over 3000
0508121745.jpg
gold is outlined with a fine line, then background is removed tapering away from the gold as i cut deeper.
0508122338.jpg
breathing the life into the design. just filled in with sharpie for this pic, but used flat black spray paint for the finish
0509121740.jpg
front bolster complete.
0521121338.jpg
rear bolster.
CRW_7380.jpg
whole knife. the knife was made by zschenry, stainless damascus blade, 416 stainless bolsters, black MOP hande.
now with hand engraving and 24k gold inlays.

thanks for looking.

D.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
thanks all.

douglas...... im not sure of the guage i started with. i melted down some clean sheet and wire bits then rolled it out into a strip a bit thicker than what i needed. measuring by the deepth of the graver face. i wanted a thicker piece so i could mash the hell out of it with the magnum handpiece and get the roughly nipped out by wirecutters shape to squish over and fill the whole space. a couple on the first bolster didnt take the first time, but i figured out just how much i actually could move things. i like inlay into steel.... cut,cut.... mash,mash... and away you go.