V. Walrafen Memorial Nickel

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is a memorial tribute carving I did for my old friend Verne Walrafen, a huge supporter of Hobo Nickel carvers.

Attachments

• VW2.jpg
    VW2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 199
  • VWrev1.jpg
    VWrev1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 197

mrthe

Hi Ron this is a great piece of Art and a tribute for a great Man,all people that love the hobo nickels world,not only the hobo carvers, know that,congratulations this is a great nickel!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Superb carving, when I look at the eye it´s like there is real glass in the glasses.(is that the right way to discribe??)
But every detail, like the ear and the hair, just amazing !!!

JJ Roberts

Ron,Beautiful carved portrait of your friend and a wonderful tribute to him,thank's for sharing.J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
A very touching tribute for sure. No doubt Verne would be immensely happy.

Technically the portrait is fantastic and the reverse is masterfully designed and cut. As for the reverse, there are so few engravers today who can design something such as this much less carve and letter it so beautifully. It's the classic style that's nearly disappeared and only to be seen in the old monogram books which show lettering and design from 100+ years ago. Hats off to you Ron!! :tiphat:

Scratchmo

Thank you for the nice comments everyone. I'm still poking at it and touching up here and there. I always have a hard time knowing when to stop. Sam, thanks for the comments on the reverse. I was first just going to engrave it on the buffalo, but this just sort of happened once I decided to do the banner. The raised metal of the buffalo was the basic outline of the scroll, banner and shield. The left end of the banner started out being the beard of the buffalo, and the shield started out being the shoulder, for example. The whole project was a lot of work, but the big guy left this world without receiving some carvings that were owed to him, so this is the least I could do for my old friend.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Yep, I owe him one myself. We never nailed down a design before he passed. Abigail and I were talking about it and I figure I can just choose something appropriate and send it to his family.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Fantastic carving Ron. Like Sam said I too love the reverse carving. He would be proud of it I'm sure.

Scratchmo

I did some more touch-ups and put a patina on it. These shots look a lot better I think...

Attachments

• VWalrafenMemRev.jpg
    VWalrafenMemRev.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 45
  • VWalrafenMemObv.jpg
    VWalrafenMemObv.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 44

monk

Staff member
a perfect tribute to a great person. verne as so gracious to spend some chat time with me on the phone a few times. i know he would love this grand expression of his passion for the art.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, what a magnificent tribute to the man who gave so much to the art form! He bought my first hobo when I was first starting out and gave me a lot of encouragement. This is a true treasure.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is absolutely FANTASTIC Ron. It looked good initially, but after touching up and adding patina, it is just an exceptional coin!