+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Engraved Feather in shibuichi

I have wanted for some years to revisit the netsuke world which I was immersed in some years ago. What is a netsuke? See http://www.netsuke.org/Default.aspx?pageId=1125375

and http://www.cc.rim.or.jp/~komada/e-netsuke.html

Having also dipped(so-to-speak) back into the Japanese water-casting(yuwake) earlier in the year I wanted to make something from a nice little shibuichi (copper/silver alloy) ingot produced then. This process involves pouring the molten alloy (70% copper, 30% silver and a bit of gold) into a cotton cradle submersed in water. This leaves the alloy quite oxide and gas free.

The obvious convergence of these impulses is a type of netsuke known as a kagamibuta(mirror-lid), which typically have a metal plate set into a bowl made most often of ivory or wood. It has been at least 20 years, I think, since I last made one of these so I was interested to see what I would bring to it with a bit more skill (letís hope!) and some different aesthetics as well.

Hereís a first look. The photo doesnít do justice to the nashiji(pear-skin) grain in the shibuichi and Iíll try to get a better photo of that. The smaller photo shows the piece roughly to scale (40mm diameter). The inlays are copper and gold. The wood is Ziricote.

IMGP5798PSE1webscale.jpgIMGP5798PSE1web.jpg

2. Likes mitch, Paulie, Jeroen, west, Titian and 6 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim
    Very nice the feather looks real. Any more on the pouring of the ingot i.e. How deep the water boil, over etc.
    Last edited by Dave London; 05-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice thank you fr sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You!
    mike

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, yes this is another one you don't have to sign it with your name, I would recognise it as yours. There are probably more that use this style, but not here in the cafť.
    About the alloy technique you explain, that is not totally clear to me.
    I understand you use copper, silver and gold, melt it and than? ......casting it into water?

Ok Jim, did a little searching on this casting technique, I suppose it is like this.

arnaud
    Last edited by Arnaud Van Tilburgh; 05-20-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: found the water casting technique

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Dave you don't want the metal cooling too much before it hits the fabric. A couple inches seems fine. Size of melt makes some difference.
    Arnaud that's a nice view of a pour. Yes, you melt first and pour into water instead of an ingot mold. For more practical info on the set-up see here:
    http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index....pic=22507&st=0

There is also a lot of info at ironbrush. It works with copper, silver, gold. Not possible with brass or ferrous.
    Last edited by Jim Kelso; 05-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Jim thank you for the link about the water casting! very interesting, i had watch Arnaud's linked video time ago but i haven`t understand very well what material was the mold in the water,now i have more reference.
    One question,what is the benefit of casting in water exactly? less oxidations?

Post Thanks / Like

Really beautifully done, Jim. Very elegant and understated, just what I've come to expect from you - good on you!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wonderful work, Jim! Your creations are always rich with texture and patina, and your photos are dramatic and capture their beauty.
    ~Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated.
    Thanks for your comments too Sam. Where would we be without our fearless leader!

Here is a shot of the back. The gold bit is a single plum blossom petal. It's functional too as the cord that holds the whole ensemble together passes underneath its middle.

IMGP5808PSE1web.jpg

12. Likes KCSteve, GertGraveur, Marrinan liked this post