+ Reply to Thread
    Post Thanks / Like

Default HP Deskjet 1000 printer recommended by Tom White

Tom,

I have to agree with you, this Hp Deskjet 1000 is a very good bargain, and it came with both black and color cartridges. Refills cost more that the new printer with the two cartridges.

I am finding that I get good transfers using the "Epsom substitute" transparencies, called "Pictorico Premium OHP Transparency Film", and probably with Tom's transparencies, too. I have some but not tried them yet.

Whereas Mac computers using Epson printers would not allow a 'black cartridge only' print option, and the "rich black" actually has color ink mixed in, using my Mac with this HP 1000 does give a black cartridge only option. But better than that, the HP 1000 will allow you to remove the color cartridge and still print.... some other printers will stop if only the back cartridge is installed.

I also find that Tom's white transfer solution is more tenacious, and does not need any protection overlay, such as hair spray.

Some time back I went over to laserjet, it is so easy to transfer, but is not as high a resolution as inkjet. Now I have both printers to choose from.

May as well buy two HP 1000 printers while you are at it ... cheaper than a set of spare cartridges, and remember if the printer clogs, you can unpack the second one?

I think that we might just have to consider the inkjet as a consumable item, although it goes against my grain. They all give very good results, if you can afford the ink, but the fine jets might be too fine to not clog up after a short working life.

So far so good.

Thank you for the recommendation, Tom!

Rod

2. Likes CJ Allan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info, Rod. I'd forgotten how good the inkjet method was until I asked Tom for a couple of sample printouts that I could use in my latest video. He graciously sent me a few and I have to say (in fact I did say in the video) that it's the best of all transfer methods. When you have the right printer, sheets, and his solution, you get the sharpest transfers and the transparency sheets make them super easy to position.

Glad to hear you're getting good results with the HP 1000!

~Sam

4. Likes Paulie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear it works well. I had given up on ink jets because of all of the various models. I will give this a try for the price!
    For what it is worth, usually the printers come with "starter" cartridges that have much less ink in them. The companies more or less give you the printer so you keep buying the ink from them.

Post Thanks / Like

On the Mac 10.5 using a Epson C88, I run only black cartridge using refills of UltraII or UltraIII ink from www.inkjetcarts.us. The original black cartridge I got at Cartridge world and is refillable. If your settings do not appear for black only, open the printer utility and select USB connection for the Epson printer.

Post Thanks / Like

peteb,

Thank you for that good tip!

Rex, you are correct, that some starter cartridges that come with a printer purchase do in fact have just a dribble of ink.... shameless! I looked over a google article about this, however, it just so happened that HP is one company that said they do not ship partly empty cartridges, so it would still seem like a good idea for the pocket book to buy two printers when you order, although not necessarily good for the environment. By the way, HP is letting its customers know that this 1000 is designed with a majority of its components recyclable materials.

Rod
    Last edited by rod; 05-08-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

All,
    I am happy to hear the method and printer is working well for all of you.

Tom White