+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Acanthus bowl - critique request

I'm working on a very large limestone urn- 58" diameter, 44" tall. The lower center section has acanthus leaves, I'm laying out the design for that part.

The full side elevation drawing is preliminary, just to show how it all goes together. The 1/4 round drawing is a bottom view, that's the one I want critiqued. In particular the small in between leaf doesn't feel right.

Thanks!
    Acan-bowl-pattern-1.jpg Large-vase.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Gargoyle,

Iím not an expert at, well at anything come to think of it, however I believe the problem is the leaves beside the center small leaf. They should bend in toward the center leaf and be smaller than the leaves above them. I think that would give it more of a balanced look anyway, as I said just an opinion.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Me, I think it's fantastic and I can visualize it deeply carved in stone. And I can't wait to see it when it is.

Point out exactly what you're unsure of Walter.

Post Thanks / Like

Walter,

This looks like a major piece of work, and your drawings do look wonderful. I will defer to the real experts on acanthus leaf for useful critiques.

As a lathe turner, I am curious as to how a stone carver goes about a large round work like this, yet encrusted with carvings. Do you have a massive turntable with vertical axis, and when roughing out, can you do partial rotations to either rough cut, or at least monitor where you are with respect to geometry?

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

I like Red Green's suggestion, I tried to incorporate that some in this sketch- also more s-curve to the leaf stems. Still, anything that jumps out at you, let me know.
    Acanthus-bowl-pattern2-edited.jpg

I worked with a stonemill that has a large CNC machine, since their lathe can only turn up to 24" diameter (by 12' long) and this is about 42" diameter. They did turn the bases and caps for the 8 smaller urns (in the background in one of these photos) on the lathe.

Acanthus-bowl-forklift-1.jpg Acanthus-bowl-forklift-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Fascinating, Walter,

thank you!

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful Walter, The sketch gives a spiral movement on the full relief leaves, is that indeed the case? if so what I focus on is the movement of the center leaves confuse that movement. How about a more c-arc into the main leaves and bring the center leaf behind flow over those in a low relief to give an undulating effect or would that not fill the space enough in between the main elements? Probably clear as mud and definitely not a critique lol, I believe if you started carving it would flow beautifully. I'm looking forward to watch the progress if you will grace us with the progress. I'm always in awe of your work. Thanks
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting, thanks for posting.
    Me too would like to see how it progresses

arnaud

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Walter

The back leaf still dosn't look right even in the second draft. Too much is hidden behind the foreground leaves to the left and right. The back leaf has no definition apart from the very top and could be anything.

Cheers
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about the problems with the small in-between leaf; I laid out the first large one on the stone, and once I repeat it I'll look at the space in between. One thing I'm trying to look at while laying this out- it won't ever be seen from this angle, since this is the lower section of the bowl. It will be viewed from the side (reference the elevation drawing in the original post). That creates a different perspective/foreshortening, so I tried to visualize what that will be like.

acanthus-bowl-layout.jpg Acanthus-bowl-layout-detail.jpg

The stone is set up on an easel; since it was hollowed out it's probably only about 250 lbs. (tilting it up onto the easel was fun- I didn't want to use slings and a hoist, because slings can slide off the curve, and then they get pinched against the easel and are hard to remove, so two people and a fork lift helped me instead).
    Last edited by Gargoyle; 05-01-2012 at 02:42 AM.