Goldsmitting with engraver skills

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is an example that illustrates that a goldsmith who looks outside the box can take advantage of engraving skills.

This I have pierced from a 2 mm Titanium sheet after I transferred the vector design. Especially the small ring piercing it out and then lowering it down on both sides with a flat graver would have been hard if I didn’t have used a graver.

After the transfer, instead of scribing the borders, I also take advantage of a graver to cut a tiny line I can follow with the piercing tool. (saw)

The diamonds are 1.10 mm and I also have cut a nick and round border on the sides

arnaud

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud that is a beautiful piece of work! I have seen a lot of your work made from titanium and all are so nice! I have some titanium sheet stock at work and would like to give it a try. And by the way what Vector program are you using?
Thanks Gary

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Gary, are you kidding me asking about what vector software? There are probably 1000 treads in the Café where I tell about Illustrator.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arno, you are the Ti Man. It almost seems that titanium is the 'new gold' for you!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, thanks for the nickname.
Thing is, and I think it is not only on this side of the big water, selling golden jewellery is harder than ever. It is not just because the high price of the gold, customers just has less money to spend.
It is especially the Ti wedding rings that make me a good living. My profit on that kind of work is even higher than when I worked on gold. The price for a pair of wedding rings 18 carat gold, is between 1500 euro and 2500 euro. Most customers want wide and high profile for the rings, that means high price.
So my alternative for that is Titanium, so you are right that titanium is ‘the new gold' for me!

On top of that, the wear of is much less than every other metal, even Platinum. So successful High-End jewellery engraving needs Titanium for me.

And I have that much experience yet with Ti, that I’m convinced that I can make whatever from Ti.
Like this Ti wire I made for putting a stone setting together.

It is also no secret that I encourage everyone to give it a try if you have hard times getting your bills paid.

Arno

jpatter

Curious, are you buying raw stock and just cutting and welding what you need. I didn't think you could roll or even think of drawing wire through a plate even carbide insert ones. Beautiful work

Jpatter

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jpatter, you are wrong, I just saw off a strip of Ti sheet, use the mill to make square wire, then use the drawing carbide plate to make wire, just the same as gold and silver. Only a bit harder.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors