It is not as easy as I thoght.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
I took in this custom wedding band request, hand-made by myself. When my clients showed me the picture of what they had in mind, I thougt it was no big thing. For most of you this would be a easy job, but for myself who has just really started applying the "Fundametals of metal engraving" a course I took @ GRS back in 09, for my jewelry designs. I had to re-make one of the bands over, due to me not taking the time to layout my engraving design. I am looking forward to learning to be the best jewelry engraver I can. This was a valuable lesson I learned- #1 not to be so cocky, and #2- take the time to layout my designs. At the end of the day they loved the outcome of the rings, and the Imperfections of a manmade ring. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 318

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several variations of outside engraving ring holding fixtures made by several different producers which are designed to help with layout. Like spacing and rotation. GRS has one Christian Over at the engravers studio has one. Mike Dubber has some excellent advise on how he made an index system with the GRS fixture. These will speed the layout work in that they provide reference calibrations. Don't forget the proportional divider to divide the circle. Also some posted a paper layout that you could set the ring on and it would show the divisions for an array of segments. Quit useful as well. Fred

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks nice, and indeed this looks easy but it isn't. Some scrolls or any other organic cuts are way more easy than things that needs measuring.

arnaud

Jeroen

That's the way one learns most! Nice rings!
This reminds me of my sons knife he asked me to engrave the symbols of the game "Assasins' Creed" on. Piece of cake, I thought. The first side was ok, both legs are not even, the symbol is engraved correct. The others side seemed a lot easier, but wasn't...

Jeroen

2012-04-19 22-41-21.164.jpg 2012-04-19 22-43-08.860.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors