Critique Request Practice Plate #6

Jesse Kaufman

Here's a money clip. I cut the main scroll and leaves with a 116 deg. Universal. Then for shading, I tried Bulino with heels and detailing 96 degrees. Trying to find out what to use to shade. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks. -Jesse:chip:
020.jpg

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jesse
I think you'll find that everyone has a favorite so you'll need to get the feel for each size or just master one and then if you don't like the effect then try something else. I started out h/c with mostly 90 degree tools now using air and use the 116 universal. Have fun, just think of all the angles that aren't in template form if you want a challenge, lol. You did a fine job and starting to get some nice tool control. Keep up the nice work.
Mark

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Jesse, it looks very good, and I like the contrast between the thicker outline cuts, and the thinner shade cuts. As suggested you could do everything with the universal, however the contrast you are getting between the two tools you are using is working at this stage, so I would keep at it until you have mastered this way of going about it and are really bored with these tools, then try another approach.
Always remember the lean the graver to the outside of the cut, like a truck leaning to the outside when it goes around a corner, this will insure clean outside edges of the cut.
my biggest suggestion at this point would be to taper all the lines, espescially the out lines , from thin to thick, and as you get control, taper the shade lines from thin to less thin, and back to thin. make sense?

Jesse Kaufman

Thankyou

Thank you all for your time in consideration of my work. I do not feel bad at all about my work so far...thanks to all of you. Your encouragement is a blessing and gives me a BIG boost to carry on. Thanks again. Jesse:banana:

Latest posts

Sponsors