Graver help on Lettering

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Need a little help here. Have a pocket watch to do some script writing on the inside of the cover. As you well know the inside of the cover is like a bowl. Any suggestions on the type of engraver and the face and heal. Typical 20 deg with the 45 face or the flat will not clear the edge of the cover. I need to cut the lettering at a steeper angle.

donnatheeng

inside pocket watch

if i am doing script on something like that i use a double bent liner for the broad parts of the letter and a bent square to hook it together and make it look script .i also slant the lettering ,it makes it easier.if i am doing block i use a double bent liner for the fat parts and a double bent round for the top and bottoms of the letters.so far thats worked well for me.donnatheeng

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves, I have a couple of engraves that I got from an ebay auction that have a pretty good bend in the end so that you can get over the edge of a spoon I am told, and cut with your normal hand position-they work pretty nicely. Have to sharpen by hand though-Fred Marrinan

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Yves,
Doing something like this can be a pain. You'll have to try angles until it clears, maybe even up to a 30 degree heel or more. They can be difficult to handle until you get the hang of them. Good luck!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves,
I still have the graver that I made to cut a dobro bar for Jerry Douglas with. You can give it a try if you like; just let me know and I'll send it to you, it's just sitting here doing nothin' but taking up a hole in my graver peg board.

Latest posts

Sponsors