R.I.P. Verne Walrafen

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The passing of Verne Walrafen is going to leave a tremendous void in the hobo nickel hobby. Verne was a huge supporter and an endless source of positive encouragement to me, my career and those of countless others who pursues the art. Rest in Peace my friend. We will miss you dearly. My prayers are with Caroline and the rest of Verne's family.

Verne was also a Cafe member.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Almost every coin carver was able to advance their skill because of Verne,s support..There were quite a number of Cafe members who Verne commissioned to carve coins for him, coin carving will live on, coin carvers will still carve coins, but like Ron said there will be a void..I was blessed and honored to have Verne visit with my wife and I and stay a few nights thur the years , I,ll think of him every time I start a new coin carving for many years to come..

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
If it hadn't been for a chance E-mail contact with Verne, I never would have carved a coin or met up with some of the best people around. He was always quick with a compliment, but just as quick to tell me when I could do better. The man was a class act among class acts.

mrthe

A very sad news, i haven't know he in person, but since i start carving hobo nickels he was a great reference for me and had helped me in a lot of ways, since today hobo nickels world will not be the same,RIP Verne.
Hasta Siempre

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that is very sad indeed. Verne gave me my first real heads up commission in the world of hobo nickels and much guidance. He loved to give new carvers a break. I had the privilege to have met him on a couple of occasions and he was a wonderful person. The world of hobo nickel collecting and the OHNS will miss him. My thoughts and sympathies are with his family.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Verne did more for the modern coin carving art than anyone in the world. He helped push the art and artists to new heights, doing all he could to bring worldwide attention to coin carving. It is what it is today largely because of Verne.
Condolences to Verne's family.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry to hear the news, but thanks for passing it along.

As the others have said, he will be missed.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ron, thank you for the notice. I spoke with Verne just last week. He will always have a special place in my heart. I spent quite a few weekends with him and Caroline over the years and without questions he was a significant benefactor for many of us but more than that he was a close friend and terrific person. My prayers are with his family and friends.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
He was truly a good guy. He really enjoyed the modern carvers with support and interest. I'll miss chatting with him. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
I could sense he wasn't feeling well during our last conversations a few weeks ago. He just wasn't his usual enthusiastic self, yet was still positive and supportive to me. Over the years he had collected, documented and archived anything and everything I had created as a nickel carver, as Gallery Mint and going way back to my first "coins" I struck at the Renaissance festivals in the 1980s. It's all still online. I owe a lot to Verne for helping me become a successful engraver. He was definitely my number ONE fan and knew more about my past work than I did. Seriously. More importantly, he was a a really good and loyal friend who was always there for me. I'm really going to miss him.

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with all of the comments, especially Ron saying Verne's passing leaves a tremendous void. This is my thought exactly. He was such a supporter and friend to coin carvers and his contributions were endless. Verne used to end phone conversations with , " take care my friend ". All I can say is rest easy Verne, we will take care of the art form you loved so much.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
I can't really add much to what has been said already. I will really miss his calls, his advise and his friendship. He was one of the great guys you meet going through life. Rest in peace my friend..........

monk

Staff member
sorry to hear of his passing. he bought 2 of mine. more importantly than that, he was a very helpful person-- a joy to talk to. after talking with him a few times, i came to realize he was a quite intelligent person.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did this for Verne About 8 years ago when I got into hand engraving. He said he liked it, "but did you have to make me look so fat". Maybe I should have done the airbrushed version of Verne and he would have loved it. RIP Verne
#21b.jpg

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for showing the Verne carving Mike. I can just hear him saying that. I did a carving of Verne sitting at my workbench. Like in your case, he thought the carving was good, but still has a suggestion or two about it. Now I am becoming curious, how many carvings of Verne were done? There must be at least three or four by different carvers that I can think of. What great treasures for his family at this time.

armcarve

He was so kind & generous with his support & advise. I always enjoyed seeing him on my trips to Kansas. Rest in Peace Verne.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My Condolences to his family.

I didn't know him well but here's my Vern story:
I had the great fortune to share lunch one day with Vern, Lee Griffiths and Michael Sabbeth during one of the Grand Masters weekends. We all had a great time visiting! The highlight that particular day was when Vern gave me a wooden lapel pin that I believe he said had been made by his dad (could be wrong about that). It had an airplane on it which as I recall, signified his involvement in WWII and, I am thinking that he had one for each of us at the table. I was so impressed by his generosity especially considering that we had just met! I have thought about his kindness many times since then!!

RIP Vern,

Weldon