New barrel, or reline

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, you said when I saw you at Atlanta that you knew someone who could furnish a new barrel with original Winchester roll stampings. I would be interested to know who that is if you please. I have some names of gunsmiths that will reline, but I am doing some research to find the right direction to go. I would like for this to be done while I am engraving the other parts if possible, but in the case of the new barrel, I could just order it and wait for it to come. That would be excellent if the price isn't prohibitive. You can contact me through private messaging....or answer me on the forum, whichever you like....thanks, Ron S

LRB

In my opinion, the gun would have more value with the original barrel, if the outside is not in too bad of condition.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Lee Shaver Gunsmithing
1020 Broadway St.
Lamar MO. 64759
(417) 682-3330

Full service gun shop specalizing in Sharpes and long distant black powder firearms.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys for the information. ..............LRB, the barrel is shootable, but I am going to make it into a pristeen over-all canvas. You are probably right and the original barrel looks great on the outside. I went over the lettering before i began to draw file it. I was considering the reline because I wanted to retain as much originality as possible as i think it would be more desirable that way. I am just considering my options as the collectors value was already eliminated by re stocking, and some metal work. the gun is in excellent shape and I have refinished it entirely, inside and out, except for the barrel. I want it to function flawlessly and perform as well. It is a canvas to me and the work will far outshadow the value of the gun, so the important thing to me is to get it to perfection or as close as I can. Thanks for the info guys, I'll check it out.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got back from our 15th Anniversary weekend so I got to read all this late. Ron I think JJ is right on this if I remember right that name rings a bell but I will look and see this week if I can find that info just in case it was a different company.

JJ, it was a pleasure getting to chew the fat with you a while I just wish I'd been there when you go to those animal books, I'd sure have bought the other one. Thanks for showing me that marking tool you made. I sure do love these shows, as a novice engraver it sure does fire me up!

As soon as I get this fellows Hamilton watch rebuilt that's scattered on my bench I gotta get to making little metal chips fly again!

Latest posts

Sponsors