carving an amethyst question

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
A question was brought to me today about carving a crest into a large amethyst ring. Does anyone in the forum know how to carve ( engrave ) an actual stone already set in the ring? I was told this type of work is currently done in Italy and is done by hand. The design has a frosted effect and the rest of the stone still shines. Sounds like diamond rotary or sonic work. Is there anyone here that can do this or knows of someone else who does? It would have to be high quality work. I at least want to find out if it can be done state side then pass the information on. Steve Adams

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Try checking google for "gemstone intaglio carving".there are many listed around the country,but like fine engraving people can be backed up with orders for months. link to a school which teaches gem carving and may know someone who can help you out. also there is the AGTA Spectrum Awards with list of gemstone carvers.

http://www.hgms.org/classes/ClassDescriptions.html

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done onyx and a few other nondescript stones. it can be done with bonded diamond, depending of course on size involved. there are also ultra sonic blasters that zap a surface, and i think - that is, i think a fine diamond slurry has to be introduced onto the surface being carved. i know of nobody doing this. i rank myself as insufficiently skilled to attempt complex work on stone such as this. the limited single initials on stone were enough to send me to my 12 step plan ! i also think this could be done with a laser. i use a co2 laser. the output wavelength would do that work, but i'm not willing to experiment on laser speeds, power settings, frequencies, etc, etc. perhaps a half dozen stones would be needed to arrive at the combination of settings required to work the stone. a yag laser could do that internally in the stone, but would probably cause lots of fractures from the heat. i'm thinkin maybe look up those folks in italy. good luck

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Steve, I have the answer! I ran into a Scottish heraldic engraver whilst I was at the Spring Fair in Birmingham, England a few months back. What he uses to cut into stone is amazing and it involves using copper wheels (some of the tiniest dimensions) and a carburundum (?) slurry. The detail he can attain using this technique is fantastic and simply has to be seen to be believed. I don't think using diamond burs in a hand held rotary tool will ever be able to compete. The thing is what this guy does is not very common at all so finding someone that can engrave stone with any degree of skill is a rarity indeed.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have done just enough regular "copper wheel" on glass to say i've done it without telling a lie. to do copper wheel on that scale, holie molie, yer gonna hafta see a wizzard to make the wheels. remember copper wheel work is done at very low rpm. hay rottsa ruck !

Latest posts

Sponsors