Blank Canvas - Pair of USFA SAA's with Ivory Slabs

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How did you purchase them? Did you purchase direct? Through a custom shop? How? I want some!

There is a very good dealer for USFA that lives near the factory and knows all the guys at the factory by the name of Joe Macrino. I've purchased USFA's through him several times as well as a friend of mine has also. Joe is great to deal with and he can get you fixed up. Contact him and get some on order ASAP. It takes a long time as there are only FOUR people in the factory doing the work.

Joseph Macrino - JS FIREARMS
1322 Route 117
Groton, CT 06340

Phone: 860-536-3342 FAX: 860-396-6515
jmacrino@mptn.org or kiddreno@comcast.net

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"It takes a long time as there are only FOUR people in the factory doing the work."

I never realized they were so small time an operation. If one gets sick or goes on vacation they'd be down by 25% and the whole operation could come to a halt.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"It takes a long time as there are only FOUR people in the factory doing the work."

I never realized they were so small time an operation. If one gets sick or goes on vacation they'd be down by 25% and the whole operation could come to a halt.

Yep! It's been said that USFA is Doug Donnelly's hobby in many ways. They turn out an excellent product but speed and high production aren't necessarily priorities.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Over at http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_327.asp?pageREQ=1 firearms auction there are a pair of consecutively numbered colt 3rd sherifs models that have a decent expected get that might be of interest as spec pieces-item numbers 1122 and 1123-

lots of nice engraving by some well known engravers to look at as well. Fred
PS Item 1216 might just be a buy to invest that may sell for big dollars someday in the future.

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, here it is, going on 7 months and no one-piece ivory grips from Bar S Grips. :( They cashed my check in May and I've only had a couple of short emails since I mailed the grip frames and ivory slabs to them.

Supposedly, the owner has been ill. I can certainly understand that with all I've been going through myself. But, that's no way to run a business.

I called and left messages a few times, sent emails that have gone unanswered... I guess I've had enough of it. At this point, I'd just like to get my grip frames, ivory and money back in my hands again. :thinking:

I posted on the SASS Wire forum and was told I should have Paul Persinger in El Paso, TX do the work for me. I found some photos of his grips and they really look nice. He doesn't have his own website however.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Those are a nice pair of gun's, Ron Nott used to tell me those USFA guns are top quality and he seen alot of Colts. I don't know why it takes so long to get them. I'm guessing they need to expand but won't do it.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I finally heard back from Bar S Grips. They will be mailing my grip frames, ivory and money back to me. I think I'll get ahold of Paul Persinger when I get my stuff. A couple of pards on the SASS Wire also recommended him highly. :)

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got off the phone from talking with Paul Persinger in Texas. As soon as I get my USFA SAA back straps, trigger guards, and ivory slabs back from Bar S Grips I'll send everything to him through his FFL dealer. He needs the grip frames attached to the revolvers in order to get a perfect fit. If he makes one-piece ivory grips from customer supplied ivory, his current labor charges are $200.00. That's quite reasonable to me.

He said he's even done grips for Leonard Francolini! http://www.francolini.com/

If Mr. Francolini hires him, he must be one of the best.

Here is his contact information (he doesn't have a website):

Mr. Paul Persinger
Persinger Custom Grips
10441 Mackinaw Street
El Paso, TX 79924
(915) 821-7541

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
So doc, your will be slabs and "one piece". I'm always a bit confused on this point about the way to go.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So doc, your will be slabs and "one piece". I'm always a bit confused on this point about the way to go.

I like the one-piece grips the best. There aren't any ugly screws to look at. You have to remove the back strap to remove or install them but, that's not a big deal. They are made as two separate grips with a spacer glued between them that fits in the space ahead of the back strap and behind the main spring.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
OK, that explains it. It looked like you just had slabs so I was confused. Thanks for the info.

Morning Doc,
A couple of years ago when we took the Colt SAA class together with Mike Dubber, I was having problems with my hands as well. In fact, I haven't finished my pistol yet. My surgery was almost a year ago and my hands are still numb. I'm told things will get better........hang in there buddy..
Brad

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Morning Doc,
A couple of years ago when we took the Colt SAA class together with Mike Dubber, I was having problems with my hands as well. In fact, I haven't finished my pistol yet. My surgery was almost a year ago and my hands are still numb. I'm told things will get better........hang in there buddy..
Brad

That must have been Chris DeCamillis' first scroll drawing class maybe? That's the only class I've ever taken.

Sorry to hear about your hands. Everything I like to do requires hands. I'll probably never practice chiropractic again because of this. But, I don't want to say never for anything because you never know... maybe things will get a lot better yet. We have to keep hoping.

I decided to try running my buffing machine the other day and I polished up my wife's rings. So, that's encouraging. Things like being able to pull up my pants and scratch my left ear with my left hand were milestones too. :)

I'm figuring I can peck away at things and eventually get them done. Thank goodness I don't have to make a living with my hands right now.

Thanks again. And, we'll keep on hoping and doing what we can.

PS: I just discovered I could raise a blister buffing out a silver pendant bail and I didn't feel it. :shock:

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A few years back I had bad dealings with Bar-S grips..... I had to arrive in person to get my Colt frame back after many months.

Some guys on the SASS Wire are saying similar things about them. It sounds like their business is on the rocks but they are still taking orders they can't or won't fill. I do have a message from a SASS member that lives only a few miles from them. He's volunteered to go over there and get my stuff if necessary. So far, nothing has arrived in the mail.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Doc,
If I can help.... just say the word.

One of the guys from the SASS Wire forum by the name of Mudflat Mike went over to Bar S Grips around noon today and spoke with the Snooks. He told them I'd like to get my grip frames, ivory and money back. I got a call from Tammi saying she is going to mail me back my stuff. :)

Mudflat Mike says you've done some engraving for him and he's well acquainted with you. It's a small world eh? :)

Latest posts

Sponsors