Blank Canvas - Pair of USFA SAA's with Ivory Slabs

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I figured I would snap a couple of photos of a very unique pair of USFA SAA's I finally got after waiting almost a year for them. They were custom made for me "in the white" without grips with 5 1/2" barrels and .45 Colt caliber. This is the first time (from what I was told) that USFA has stamped a seven digit serial number as they normally only stamp six. Hopefully, they will stay in the family as heirlooms with the serial numbers of MARTIN 1 and MARTIN 2. :biggrin:

The pre-ban African elephant ivory slabs are from David Warther in Ohio and came from antique tusks he sawed. :thumbsup:

Paul Persinger in El Paso, Texas made the ivory slabs into one piece grips for me. He makes the ivory grips for the Colt Custom Shop and has done work for Master Engraver Leonard Francolini. Check out the photos below:

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Those are the stuff dreams are made of!!!! Are you going to shape the grips yourself?

Happy Cuttin'

Donny

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you going to shape the grips yourself?

Although I'd call myself pretty much of an expert in grip fitting (because I'm so picky)... I've never scratch made a set of SAA grips before. With the price of the rough material, I'm thinking it's best farmed out to a guy with 40 years of experience in both making grips and finishing elephant ivory. So, I'm in line to have Don Collins make them for me.

I've been thinking about this for quite awhile and several years ago I made a Texas Longhorn steer head mold. I'm intending on doing them as appliqués in silver.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc, that is very sweet. I've got a consecutive numbered pair in 5.5", but they sure don't have hughes1 on em. And they just have that boring turn bull case color. But man are they nice.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, that is very sweet. I've got a consecutive numbered pair in 5.5", but they sure don't have hughes1 on em. And they just have that boring turn bull case color. But man are they nice.

That Doug Turnbull case color is the best alright! I have one in 7 1/2" with the case color and Dome Blue. Purdy! :)

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,

I own both Colt SAA's and USFA SAA's. If you put them side by side the USFA's have a much nicer fit and finish. A lot of that comes from their use of CNC equipment while Colt still does a lot of hand work. That's why a pair of Colt grips probably won't fit any other Colt but the one they were fit to. But, Colt's are Colt's and nobody really collects USFA's.

I'm not sure what exact style I'll engrave them with. They will be in the style of the 1880's anyway. I may even do them with Mike Dubber and Les Schowe's patterns as I did buy a set of them.

Everything is taking a lot longer than expected. The guy doing my ivory grips (Glen Snook of Bar S Grips) got sick and is way behind now. His wife Tammi says he'll get to them when he can.

But, I'm in no big hurry as I'm all buggered up myself. I went to Mayo in Rochester, MN in March with tingling finger tips to have a routine spinal surgery on my neck. I woke up to find the surgeon made a mistake and my left arm and leg quit working. Another 4 hour surgery later... the arm and leg started working a little bit. I can barely get around with a cane and both arms and hands are numb. So... for a lot of things I had planned and things I like to do... it's all on hold for now. I keep saying "maybe next year" now. :)

Here is a photo of the silver steer head and a couple of waxes from the mold:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dang Doc, good luck with that. I had the numb fingers and left arm just basically wouldn't work. It was a bone spur dug into my spinal cord. Took a couple of tries to get it better. Neck has got plates and screws in it now, but it did get better after a while.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dang Doc, good luck with that. I had the numb fingers and left arm just basically wouldn't work. It was a bone spur dug into my spinal cord. Took a couple of tries to get it better. Neck has got plates and screws in it now, but it did get better after a while.

I have a titanium plate with four screws on the front side with a cadaver donor bone graft. On the back side, a three level laminectomy, six screw in posts with six set screws and two rods. I can just hope to get back to engraving, shooting and all the other stuff I like to do. It would have been nifty to have engraved all those parts before they were installed. That would have had some future anthropologist wondering about it. :)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are scheduling a four level laminectomy, eight screw in posts with eight set screws and two rods. My four level front plate did not hold the screws tight and the bone cancer must have prevented the bone fusion. They are going to add donor grafts but are not optimistic. Nerve damage also effecting my hands, elbows and shoulders. Had nerve tests last week and failed everything.Am only working for short periods with medication at present time. I hope your recovery is quicker and complete. Both of you.-Fred

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And, you too Fred! I hope it all works out for you and you can get feeling better.

I used to be invincible... or, at least I figured I was. If I'd have known I was going to live this long I think I would have taken better care of myself. I just hope we can get back to making some nifty stuff. :)

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm not suggesting that you do this, but I've heard of engravers recutting a serial number to make it more presentable. Without changing the number, of course!

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful pair of pistols Doc. Hope to see them as the work progresses.

Best of luck to you and Fred on resolving the medical issues.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
GEEZ GUYS..............Listening to you back/neck surgery stories makes me feel like a walking wonder after mine last summer. I really do feel for you (first hand enperience)and wish you all the best of everything with the hopes that you will have many more happy hours at the engraving bench. Doc, Fred, get well and keep us posted.

Marty

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful pair of pistols Doc. Hope to see them as the work progresses.

Best of luck to you and Fred on resolving the medical issues.

GEEZ GUYS..............Listening to you back/neck surgery stories makes me feel like a walking wonder after mine last summer. I really do feel for you (first hand enperience)and wish you all the best of everything with the hopes that you will have many more happy hours at the engraving bench. Doc, Fred, get well and keep us posted.

Marty

Thanks guys! I appreciate the good words. :biggrin:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How did you purchase them? Did you purchase direct? Through a custom shop? How? I want some!

Latest posts

Sponsors