Help for LRB

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
LRB needs some help understanding my post about some shadng. I cannot post a drawing yet, so if any of you could illustrate for him, that would be great. Sorry I can't post anything for him, but 1. I don't know how. 2. I don't have a printer for this laptop yet. 3. Not sure i could do it if I did right now. OK, I got it to work. Here is a drawing of the tendril part of your design. Hope this helps..........Ron S........Sorry about the rough sketch. I have a little trouble drawing due to the loss of a digit.

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

LRB

Thanks en2siastic, and Ron. A picture is worth a thousand words. I get it now, but that treatment could be too sophisticated for early American gunsmiths. I cannot remember if even Vogler went that far with it. !8th c., and early 19th c., American gun engraving usually depends on strong, but eye pleaseing lines for effect, and very little shading. Some would say that I took my work too far on that last gun. I will certainly try it on a practice plate, and see how it looks toned down a bit. Thanks again.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow!.thanks en2siastic, that is great! That looks better than I did it for sure, and LRB I understand your delimma with the traditional treatment of the period. I did a number of muzzle loaders in my day. It is unfortunate that the "purists" can't see the value of making history rather than reapeating it (that is my phylosophy). Actually, your work is far better than most of the engravers of that day anyway. I quit doing muzzle loaders for this reason. You couldn't break them out of that box, and I am not going to digress to copy what someone did a few hundred years ago. Of course that is just my opinion and I have no problem with it other than that, and I am not trying to tell you what to do, just trying to help........and of course I am a proponent of doing what the customer wants.........Ron S

LRB

Thanks for your help Ron. Since I will probably lightly shade my work anyway, I am thinking a little more can't hurt, but I don't think I can take it as far as that drawing and stay with the early flavor of an 18th c. gun. I am not a diehard purist, but I don't want to cross the line too far.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
I'm still making a few ml rifles & find they look too "late" if the engraving is carried too far. They ( if carried too far) resemble the Philadephia guns starting in the 2nd half of the 19th cent.
It is a tough line/ act to follow to make em' look right.
LRB's lock & hardward still looks right imho however and a fine job of it too. From the furniture I can see it looks like a Christian' Spring (Albecht) early transitional style or Jaeger style.
Man should be proud what owns that gun.
keep yur powder dry,
Kent

LRB

Thanks Ksnyder, I wasn't sure if I went too far or not. Still not really sure. Yeah, the owner is proud as a peacock, but he's going to allow me to take it to the CLA show in August.

Latest posts

Sponsors