Help, please: wax letter seal help

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
A friend of mine asked me if I could make him a wax letter seal. I have never done this and thought I would ask if anyone here had. What material should I use to make it from? I have attached the design as to what he wants made. He would like it sized down to 1". I haven't played with the sizing yet but I am sure some detail will be lost when I reduce its size. What are your thoughts, should I engrave the outlines and relief the water or the opposite so it appears the land is above the water? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Braidie

Attachments

• IMAG1195.jpg
    IMAG1195.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Braidie: I have removed your PDF attachment. Please use a JPG attachment so members don't have to download a file to their computers. You'll most likely get a better response, too :)

Cheers / ~Sam

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Jane I would make it out of brass rod 1" dia. that way you could cut it to the thickness you want./remember that you would be engraving in the negative so I would relieve the continents and leave the oceans alone.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I think what i would do is first carve out the circle with it being slightly deeper in the center and shallower around the edges. Then I would draw the land areas in that circle and then cut them slightly deeper so they're slightly raised above the oceans. You could simply engrave the outlines and then relieve the land areas. That'd be faster and easer but wouldn't look as nice.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What happened to Australia?

On the opposite side of the globe from South America:

Latest posts

Sponsors