Design, cutting, and shading exercise #2 by Mitch Moschetti

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob, Why is "it not stylized for engraving"? It can certainly be cut and shaded to match your drawing. It is appropriate to shade just like your drawing. The smudge shading technique will require micro fine dots or lines but it is doable and would make a fine piece of work. Cut the darn thing and strive to duplicate your shading. Fred

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Fred,

Got caught smudging again! :eek: What I meant was can this basic outline and leaf vein be shaded with line and crosshatch. Or how can I convert the sketch into a more adaptable pattern for this type of shading? My representation of what I see as living things tend to look ‘natural’ but I’m not sure this is appropriate for this style of engraving and I want to find a way to ‘fit the traditional mold’ a little better. I’m sure the bulino dot shading would work and I’ll have to give it a try soon, I just thought I’d learn the line method first as it seems the least intuitive to me.

Bob

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, here is the real thing you asked for me to do. Not much difference with the computer design in my opinion.

arnaud

the desing one

the real one

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
actually, Arnaud, i'm amazed at how the engraving is virtually IDENTICAL to the computer drawing, right down to the individual shade lines & everything...

mrthe

actually, Arnaud, i'm amazed at how the engraving is virtually IDENTICAL to the computer drawing, right down to the individual shade lines & everything...

Me too ,is incredible ! Is like the game " find the differrences" hehehe

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, yes if I would have cut it in reverse, drawing could have been just a print of the real thing.
And if you think about it, a lot of engravings where done just to have a negative that could be printed. Every printer needed the help of engravers to make those.

Because of these computers those jobs became much easier to execute. But believe me, it is cut on a soft steel plate, sure I could manipulate the vector design the way it looks now by adding some “bright cut spotsâ€￾, but I didn’t.

Mrthe, I found some differences, did you? :biggrin:

arnaud

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud-
To me it has the look of a Al Hirschfield drawing. It makes me wonder...how many times is LOLA spelled out? A little riddle for you ;-)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud-
To me it has the look of a Al Hirschfield drawing. It makes me wonder...how many times is LOLA spelled out? A little riddle for you ;-)

now that you mention it, it really DOES have that certain look about it. (but why "LOLAs" instead of "NINAs"? am i not getting an inside joke? is "Lola" Arnaud's daughter's name?)

This has some wonderful dimension & movement to it with the addition of folds and dynamic shading lines. Very nice collaboration here between you guys to really bring Mitch's great design to life.
CaroL

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
That is brilliant Arnaud,

It appears to me that it will become more lifelike and project many of the qualities I find striking in engraving as it scales down to a ‘normal’ engraving size. I thought of trying to do something like that with my design but spreading out from the leaf vain, but I’m really taken by this entire style. Obviously Chris’s influence is very positive.

Bob

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Arnaud, looks like 2 heads are better than one! lol. Serious that is a very nice piece. It's great to see what someone comes up with.
Gary

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Chris, showing your version made pop something in my brain. That is why I came up with my second attempt.
You have an own style I can recognize even with one eye closed.

arnaud

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo maestro,

It is good to see your work here again, your influence on Arnaud’s work is inspiring. I find the art deco style that he seems to prefer one of my least favorite, perhaps it is because it was used so extensively in propaganda in my mind it exemplifies the insanity and destruction of those times by those who were foremost in its execution. His example seems to put a human touch to the style that always has a mechanical robotic nature to me, perhaps it is a return to balance I find appealing. Thank you both for the photographs and the priceless inspiration.

Bob

Last edited:

Sponsors