Design, cutting, and shading exercise #2 by Mitch Moschetti

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I will cut this asap. I've been out of town for a few days and will be home soon.

Jim B

Here is what I came up with, working from Mitch's pattern. The center one is what I saw when I first looked at it. The scroll is about 18mm high. The one on the right I tried to make it more like the pattern and use some of Mitch's suggestions. I like the suggestions that Mitch supplied. This one is about 11mm high. The one on the left is relieved and sculptured. I could not get the light right to show it well while trying to get the other two in the photo. It is around 9mm in height. The arabesque scroll is probably my favorite. I would like to see Mitch shade this pattern of his in his style.

http://www.jimblairengraving.com

Attachments

• Mitch, arabesqe pratice 003 enhanced.jpg
    Mitch, arabesqe pratice 003 enhanced.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 600

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
That is really a beautiful interpretation Mr. Blair. Bravo! Might I ask what material you used?

Jim B

The material that I engraved on is steel, probably from GRS. It is a 2" square. I do not know for sure but what GRS sells may be from Cronite or something similar. I buy large sheets of engravers steel from Cronite and cut to the size that I need for engraved prints.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Love your work Jim, your scrollwork never ceases to amaze me. Will study your attempt for sure. Thanks for participating.

Anyway, here's my attempt. I did it big, roughly 51mms in height. And wow, it's hard to cut big stuff :-/.

Any critique will be welcomed! :happyvise:

Cut'nDesign2 Jörmungandr.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...big, roughly 51mms in height. And wow, it's hard to cut big stuff.

you're right- that's HUGE for a single leaf form. try it again at maybe half that size, i think you'll like it a lot better. it's very difficult to shade a figure that's too big...

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
my try

After doing a lot of sketching and throwing away a lot of napkins and scraps of paper, I finally came up with something to post. I want to thank Mitch for posting this fun project and making me crazy!
It was a lot of fun to do but there are some other things I would do to this piece as I learn some new
techniques. I've learned a lot from other people's photos and postings and some books and it has helped me a lot.
Thanks
Gary mitch.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This was a fun one and it's tough figuring out how all the shade lines should terminate in the center of this leaf set. I'm not quite happy with this and might give it a second go when I get time. I left out a couple places on the fold-overs on the center leaf. Sorry! I also added a bit more with shapes I'm more accustomed to drawing and shading. But fun, yeah! :cool:

mitch_exercise1.jpg

mrthe

Awesome Sam! I have a lot of work now but when i can i wont to try make this exercise,i see that this type of leaf is more complicated,and i need time to study it,i hope can soon.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In an effort to gain skills in shading I have drawn various patterns inspired by those presented by Mitch. I tried various shading patterns and techniques with lines and cross hatching. Any and all input would be appreciate by members of the Café'. Thanks Fred

PS I also fooled with photos inmy camera editor FM

rrupp

My attempt at shading.

not happy with my shading on the underside of the leafs or the photo work.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 448

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my attempt at the design. I freehand drew this on a piece of old piano key ivory, I thought this would be a good practice piece while working a knife show so this is what was in the picture that JJ uploaded. Not sure if it's done or whether I like it so what do you folks think.
Mark
[/IMG]

bthomas

Exercise 2 my attempt to shade when leaf is .200" x .230" (can cover entire leaf with 1/4" pencial eraser). Steel chunk 1/2 x 2". I selected from scrap bin looking for no rust [after seeing so many pits in practice plate 1]. Once again my efforts to polish the workpiece to start w a smooth surface came up short...I quit before the whole surface was flat thinking I could engrave in a clean spot. Had not played w this sort of style before and was a bit stuck.
Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors