Power Hone Use

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd be curious to know what other uses people have found for their GRS powerhone other than sharpening tools. For example I used the powerhone the other day to reface the brakes for my mountain bike because they were squeaking.

Joe

I am so glad that you asked. I haven't gotten to tell this in a while, and it makes me happy to think about it.
After our youngest got work far away, I bought a blank wheel from GRS and some self stick sandpaper discs from Rio Grande. I used them to sand the words off of a little box of Valentine's Day Candy Hearts. Then, using the microscope and a very fine pen, I wrote on each candy the key word or phrase from little games and jokes and routines that we had back when she was growing up. You know, thing that only we two knew. I sent them and she received them right on Valentines Day and called me and opened them over the phone.
You don't get a lot of moments like that one, so thanks again for asking.
Joe

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i throw mine exactly straight up in the air and watch as it comes down an hits me in the head ! then i resharpen a graver.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Recently I took on a job to make a forend screw for an old Browning Over/Under Shotgun. I used my sharpening fixture to set the angles on both ends of the screw and the power hone to do the job. Worked perfect. Now all I have to do is figure out what the engraving was on the head of the screw. If anyone has any pictures of browning screw heads sure would like to see some.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will do you a really fast manicure! Haven't tried the toes yet. You can sharpen your knife on it too.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sandy,
Not to hijack this thread but if it is a standard grade Superposed all it has is a simple starburst. Six lines full length and then shorter cuts between the divisions. Nothing too special. I just had one apart here and can e-mail you a smoke pull. E-mail me at fega@fega.com if you need it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
powerhone

I am so glad that you asked. I haven't gotten to tell this in a while, and it makes me happy to think about it.
After our youngest got work far away, I bought a blank wheel from GRS and some self stick sandpaper discs from Rio Grande. I used them to sand the words off of a little box of Valentine's Day Candy Hearts. Then, using the microscope and a very fine pen, I wrote on each candy the key word or phrase from little games and jokes and routines that we had back when she was growing up. You know, thing that only we two knew. I sent them and she received them right on Valentines Day and called me and opened them over the phone.
You don't get a lot of moments like that one, so thanks again for asking.
Joe

that ink is toxic! send the candy to me i'll run the lettering on my laser !:eek: :eek:

Latest posts

Sponsors