favorite engravers of all time???

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will recognize three from yesteryear that I enjoy studying. This is in no particular order; Rembrandt, Durer, and Dore.

This in no way detracts from the modern masters who have been mentioned and other not yet mentioned.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Hey Roger,
This is for your "favorite"..... not the all time "greatest" engraver."

Dennis,

I guess my favorite would be Scott Pilkington because we are pals and have traveled together. Maybe I am reading too much into ouporblowup's question?

Roger

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Well this is a very hard question...

Barry Lee Hands, Phil Coggan, Ray Cover, Mike Dubber, Ken Hurst just to name a few contemporary engravers makes it a hard choice ....

I would like to see Winston Churchill's work. (not much published that I have seen)

But the one I feel has personally done so much for engraving by being the world wide Ambassador, Diplomat and being a Master Engraver personally representing the USA Engravers here and overseas is
Barry Lee Hands.

AirAmp

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with pretty much everyone mentioned here, and if I had the time I could probably add ten more names to the list just from the folks that post here on a regular basis.

But if I have to pick one favorite I think I'll go with Lee Griffiths because his work so often amuses as well as amazes me. Scott Pilkington is close behind, especially with his Mickey Mouse gun.

Just glad you're not asking what engraver impresses us most!

Martens

Elite Cafe Member
I can see much very beautiful engravings, May Mister lovenberg is the only engraver who controls engraving and especially creation like no one other

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
My favourite engravers are Jim Blair and Alain Lovenberg. Oh.. And Phil Coggans work is great also.

Jims long flowing scrolls are just... I don't know. They're exactly the type that I love the most, and he does it so well.. When I first saw a gun engraved by him I was awestruck. Spent hours pouring over the photos on his website.

Alains carvings are just drop dead gorgeous. Can't get enough of it. And his designs are impeccable. I love especially the chimeras/dragons and other funny creatures and faces whenever he uses them.

Got an entire library of Alains/Jims/Phils engravings.. Saved all the pictures I could get a hold of. Hours disappear when one starts to look through the pictures.

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Ooohhh, really tough. Surely one of my favorites is Okawa Teikan.

Attachments

• mfaTeikanweb.jpg
    mfaTeikanweb.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 339

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I too regard those mentioned as extraordinary and would add Manrico Torcoli for his "transformations" and Gianfranco Pedersoli for his "grotesques".

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Some others that come to mind that have done some of my favorite pieces are Amayak Stepanyan, Steve Lindsay, Julie Warenski, Ray Cover, Ron Skaggs, Jon Robyn, Paul Lantuch and Joe Fugger.

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hmmm, really tough but here goes:

Kornbrath, Max Bruehl (see Prudhome's Engraving Review), Frank Hendricks and of course, my dad.

Of those currently living....the are so many today it is really tough to pick a favorite so, I won't pick one.......I study and admire the work of many of today's top engravers!

We are truly living in an engraving renaissance with an explosion of talent and so many who are constantly pushing the envelope, expanding what is possible!! With the internet and the speed-sharing of information, ideas & techniques... well, If you just started to engrave...you don't know how fortunate you really are!!!

Weldon

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
... just started to engrave...you don't know how fortunate you really are!!!
You are absolutely right, Weldon! This is the very good site of the web. Can't tell, how much i already have benefit from it.

AjayTaylor

Ron Skaggs for me. His color scrimshaw and gold inlays are brilliant and easily recognizable as his work.

Latest posts

Sponsors