favorite engravers of all time???

ouporblowup

i get quite a bit of inspiration lookin at your guys awesome works of art

but who is your all time favorite engraver??

ooo

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Arnold Griebel

You can see some of his work in the Gun Engraving Review, by E. C. Prudhomme, starting on page 15

Ken Crutcher

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i get quite a bit of inspiration lookin at your guys awesome works of art

but who is your all time favorite engraver??

ooo

My favorite engraver is Phil Coggan. There are a few others that are in that class and It is a close call. In my opinion there are less than a dozen in the world in that class. This is kind of like asking who is the most beautiful women. The answer will never be decided.
PS- I think Ron Smith's winchester with Lewis and Clark on it is the most fantastic piece of work I have ever seen in this country.

Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I guess Lynton Mckenzie's stuff was what I grew up thinking engraving should look like. But then you can see a lot of his style in what so many people do, I guess I'm not the only one.

And what Barry Lee Hands is doing now is just incredible. He's got to be one of my current favorites.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
My favorite engravers are Winston Churchill and Ron Smith,true artists both. J.J.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken Hunt came a long long way in his time.
I would venture to say he may have had the largest influence on modern engraving, of any living engraver.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Churchill, Coggan, Brown Bros., Fracassi's, Lovenburg, Alfano, are my favorites of their various disciplines, and have had the greatest impact on my work.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Winston Churchill, who in my opinion, is the greatest engraver America has ever known.

when you factor in his versatility and utter mastery of various styles of scroll (virtually inventing a couple), game scenes, and doing it all in lines, dots, or relief, i'd say he's the greatest engraver the world has ever known.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Alfano and Pederson. Although They are great engravers, I picked them for their efforts in teaching others.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't like to publically announce who I think is the all time greatest engraving artist because I am aquainted with so many great engravers. However I will say that those who I consider the best of all time are living today. They practice in Europe, the UK, and the USA. We are blessed to have some of the all time greats as members of this forum including the one who I consider to be the master of all masters, Le maître de tous les maîtres, Der Meister aller Meister, Il maestro di tutti i maestri, El maestro de los maestros.

I have the greatest admiration for our predecessors, including Albrecht Dürer, L. D. Nimschke, Harry Kell, Albin Obiltchnig, Johann Singer, Rene Delcour, Louis Vrancken, André Watrin, and Francesco Medici, among others. We are standing on the sholders of giants!

CRB

Sponsors