First Engrave-In

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
What a Great Time Had By Everyone, If you missed this year you don't want to miss the next one...
Thanks to Scott and Rhonda for all the work putting together the First Engraving-In...
Joan and I enjoyed meeting everyone and shareing their time...

Thanks Again
JL Seymour

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
unfortuanately I arrived there late and missed a good bit of the activities but I enjoyed it while I was there. Thanks Scott and next year I will be there a little earlier.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well thanks everyone for coming. Thanks to Ray, Sam and Joyce for their presentations. Thanks to Joan and Jerry for bringing the shrimp. Thanks to Jim Hall and his crew for bringing the smoker. Thanks to Andrew Biggs for the poster design, we made a slight modification to it, and your own personal copy signed by all participants is on its way to New Zealand. Thanks to all who contributed to the tip jar and thanks to whichever one of you started it. We are not so nearly in the hole now. Thanks to John Barraclough for bringing himself and Ray Phillips to my place. I was dearly tickled to have both of them here. Thanks for all the interesting things that all of you brought to see and talk about. Thanks to Sam and Abby, Don Cowles, Dennis Marlowe and Sara Kambouris, for the playing and singing. Thanks to the several enlightening conversations about some of my pieces in my scrollwork and engraving museum as someone called it. Thanks to Paul Hamler for bring his wonderful miniature tools and talking about them. Thanks to my employees and family for the all the work we did preparing, and now tearing down. Thanks to Mike and others who brought homemade wine and various other interesting spirits. Thanks to all , we will plan on doing it next year Monday after Blade, assuming there is no major conflict with some of my shooting schedule.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

Thank you very much for doing that for me. Really appreciated. I'll look forward to it arriving. Another thing to frame and hang on the wall. I'll e-mail you the Photoshop original I worked on so you can alter and use it next year if you want. Again, thank you.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
I'd like to throw out a sincere Thank You to the Pilkington's for the wonderful get-together - We had a wonderful time and I learned many things from everyone there. I hope that there will be another one next year and that we will be able to attend. (And now that I know how it will be traveling 7 1/2 hours in the car with two little ones, I might come better prepared...) ;) Thanks again -- it's much appreciated.

Rex - Ask and ye shall receive....hopefully these come through fine, it's my first time posting anything. :rolleyes: I have more but the size is too big to post them all at once... :D

Attachments

• Camera Pics_Tennessee 029.jpg
    Camera Pics_Tennessee 029.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 199
  • Camera Pics_Tennessee 015.jpg
    Camera Pics_Tennessee 015.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 177
  • Camera Pics_Tennessee 026.jpg
    Camera Pics_Tennessee 026.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 171

Tim Adlam

Here's some of the image's I took at the first Engrave-In.

This first grouping showcases Paul Hamler's magnificent miniature woodworking tools.
Each tool functions like it's full-size counterpart.

This is a shot of a unique engraving tool designed to cut long straight lines on the pull stroke.
Paul said this is a fancier version of the crude original he had as a pattern.

Tim Adlam

This second group of shots just shows that you can never have enough fun!

Former Jockey John Barraclough showing professional grooming technique.
[I heard-tell that later on he straightened out Ray Cover's pony tail...]

Joyce Carroll's presentation on mother of pearl inlay technique was thorough and informative,
but equally as impressive was her knack for entertaining a crowd.
We loved it!

Ray brought his portable bench and tooling that was set up in the Engraver/Scrimshander area on the Blade Show floor.

Even with all of the above going on...the campfire and great music...I came just for the food...
Thanks Jim and all for the excellent feast!

Scott and Rhonda, you two are great hosts and thank you for a true taste of Tennessee hospitality!

Thanks,
Tim and Kelly

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the best part of the weekend was getting to meet people I have only had the opportunity to talk with on the forums. It was also great to see folks I have not seen for many years.

It was a special treat to get to finally meet John Barraclough and Ray Phillips.

It was a very kind gesture on Scott and Rhonda's behalf to host this event (not to mention a lot of work). If it happens again next year I would encourage anyone interested in engraving to come.

Ray

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the pictures. I was very disappointed to have to miss this years get together and I hope to have the opportunity to attend if it happens next year.

Peter

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Abigail and I had a great time at the Engrave-In. I know it was a LOT of work and expense for Scott and Rhonda, and I want them to know how much we appreciate their efforts. We really enjoyed meeting Cafe members we hadn't met before, and of course seeing those we know. The food was great and the atmosphere friendly and comfortable.

Thanks to Scott & Rhonda and everyone who made it the fun gathering it was! / Sam

p.s. I will add to the photo collection when we get home. We're now in Memphis for a goldsmiths show and will be home next week.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Now, now President Rex...... a little decorum from our respected Pres.
Now I will say it for you I think.?
One horses "A" dealing with another!!!!!!
Was that where you were going, Mr. Pres.???
Hey Rex, wish you could have made it there, it was great and you would have loved it too.
Wish Ron and Liz could have come also, but they had a long weekend of work at GRS Blade.
It was a true treat to spend some time with Sam and Abigail and meet in person so many of the great folks from their Cafe forum.
Many thanks to all for wonderful music, food, show-and-tell and great friendship and memories.
It was just great to spend a relaxed weekend with Ray Phillips, the other half of "double trouble."
It would have been great fun to watch the expressions on faces as Andrew talked, but another time.
And to Scott and Rhonda and family, heartfelt thanks for all their work and true worldclass Southern hospitality.
Luv Ya, to all my old and new friends.
John B.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually John, I didn't think of that one exactly! You were going to be the straight man and the horse's A could have been one of those "insert name" for whoever you decided to pick on today!
Yes, it would have been a fun time and wished I could have gone, but I think I finally just unpacked from a hectic winter/spring tour. Perhaps next year my schedule will be spaced out more and allow it. Besides, somebody had to stay behind and egg on Andrew!!!!

Don Cowles

Elite Cafe Member
I'll add my most sincere thanks to Scott and Rhonda for hosting this shindig- it was a massive (and very successful) undertaking. Very well done, and a treat to be able to meet old and new friends in a relaxed setting. I have a bunch of pics that I need to sort through, and I will surely post some of them.

By the way, Abigail can SING! ...and Sam is a fine banjo player! We had a great time.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to thank Scott and his wife for opening their doors for all. It was great putting a face and personalities to a name. I personally had a wonderful time. The food was great and the shop talk never stopped.
Here are a few photos I took.
1st is Scott talking shop to a group.
2nd is Sam on photography.
3rd Ray talking shop.
4th My son Michael in Scotts back yard.
5th Just a relaxing chat.
6th Late night snack pool side at the motel. The empty seat is mine I took the picture and didn't think to get one with me in it, oh well it was the memories that will last forever.

Attachments

• Scott shop talk.jpg
    Scott shop talk.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Sam on Photography.jpg
    Sam on Photography.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Ray Cover.jpg
    Ray Cover.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Mike in Scotts back yard.jpg
    Mike in Scotts back yard.jpg