Bob Finlay's vertical knife holding system - Version 2

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's what I got from Bob via email. He's been busy at work making another vertical knife fixture based on the ideas in the previous thread. What a fantastic idea!
========

Sam

I expanded on the bearing use and used a self aligning pillow block # p208 and like bearing with a 1 1/2 inch bore to come up with a much simpler knife vise to do end engraving. This block rotates and tilts right off the shelf. If you have access to a metal lathe and a drill this can be puts together for about $75-$150. I turned an extension tube that can be attached to the bearing with set screws. In the bottom of the tube I have recessed a bore of abouts 1 1/2 inches deep to accept 2 jaws. One is sstationary the other has a floating bar in it which can be tightened and will conform to the angle of the blade. It is held in place with long set screws that protrude thru the sides of the cylinder. Lastly a PVC tube is bored to slip over the aluminum tube to cover the exposed blade. This is doable for mosst everyone. Pictures attached.
ps. A little Thermo Loc around the end of the knife eliminates any vibration.

Thanks

Bob Finlay
=======

View attachment 18900 View attachment 18899 View attachment 18901 View attachment 18902 View attachment 18903 View attachment 18904

Attachments

• finlay_fixture2-1.jpg
    finlay_fixture2-1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 874
  • finlay_fixture2-2.jpg
    finlay_fixture2-2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 861
  • finlay_fixture2-3.jpg
    finlay_fixture2-3.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 859
  • finlay_fixture2-4.jpg
    finlay_fixture2-4.jpg