Recently finished

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just as a side bar to the recent threads on overdoing gold, I have had several jobs this year with no gold at all. This is one of them. I finished this about a week go.

The knife was assembled and the fittings are 303 stainless both of which presented their own problems but I am happy with the results.

Broadwell1.jpg broadwell3.jpg

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Ray, that's quite nice! I get the fact that it being assembled would be a problem but what was the problem with the 303?

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The 303 was tough to cut. Yes it is a free machining steel but its not a free engraving steel. I spent a huge amount of time sharpening gravers on this. Dubbing the point and raising the face angle helped but there is a limit to haw much you can get away on that and still be able to do the very fine starts of those tapered shade lines.

I would say that it is not because it is particularly hard but like Jeff said its a little gummy and just tough. It really test you metal when it comes to smooth fluid cutting technique. If you cutting technique gets even a little off you've busted a point.

Ray

mullerforge

Really nice. The 303 is difficult to machine, engrave, polish, etc. etc. etc. The price compared to 416 is a big difference when buying in bulk.

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your right about the price of 303 compared to 416 ... except when I have to engrave it. Because I spent more time on 303 in sharpening and difficulty I charge a healthy premium for it. On this job it was MUCH more expensive to use 303.

Most of the time when I end up with 303 on a job like this it is because the knifemaker can't find 416 in the size he needs when he needs it.

Ray