Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
here is mine:drawing:.... i turned it into a bit of cash for the fishing fund.:clapping:
i finished the second concho and added a bit different shading trying to figure somethings out.:thinking:

Last edited:

Jim B

I thought that I would give it a try at shading Sam's scroll. Some of it is a little course, trying to work the shakes out of the arm.

Attachments

• Alfono practice plate 012.jpg
    Alfono practice plate 012.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 587

Andrew Biggs

Hi Roger

I used a really big 120 graver that is as wide as the graver can be. I've tried the flat and just can't seem to get to grips with it or break tips like you wouldn't beleive. For some reason I just seem to have better control with a 120.

Cheers
Andrew

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Andrew. I'm with you about using a square. It seems like many use a flat but I can't get the tool control I like with one. I use anything from a 90 to a 123depending on how bold I want the cuts to be. For several years I have used a parallel heel so I can lean the graver over without going past the heel.

Regards,

Roger

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Jim, you're my hero. That is fan-freakin'-tastic! You've definitely raised the bar!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Willem,

The other thing about cutting with a flat on its corner is that it casts up a considerable burr that has to be polished off. A square with a parallel heel is burr free.

Roger

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
I thought that I would give it a try at shading Sam's scroll. Some of it is a little course, trying to work the shakes out of the arm.

Ah.. this thread keeps getting better and better. Now even my favourite engraver has joined in! And what a result. Thanks alot for taking the time to do this, very educational for us young whippersnappers.

//Daniel

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Roger

I used a really big 120 graver that is as wide as the graver can be. I've tried the flat and just can't seem to get to grips with it or break tips like you wouldn't beleive. For some reason I just seem to have better control with a 120.

Cheers
Andrew

How do keep from getting heel drag around the tighter curves? I always seem to get that dreaded raged tailing edge when I try to do this with a wide square I seem to have better luck and control with the flats. I also find that I can judge and control the tapering of the bright cut better as I can easily see the leading edge of the flat better.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bert

I guess it's just different stokes for different folks. I use a standard heel (Roger uses a parallel heel) and raise the back of the graver as the curve gets tighter, same as for normal scroll cutting. Even then I get a bit of chatter but I don't mind that so much as it adds character to the cuts and adds a bit more reflection/bling. And don't forget that you can't see a lot of it with the naked eye. That piece I cut was only 31mm from tip to toe.

Oh yeah.........I call this type of engraving "Florentine" it sounds a lot sexier to clients than "flare cut" :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Jens and didyoung: Great job on both of these :beerchug:

This has been a fantastic thread. Perhaps I will compile all of the pics into a single post for the Tips Archive.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I thought i should give it a try, too. Here is a preview. Needs some fine lines now...

Attachments

• cafe-practice-1.jpg
    cafe-practice-1.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 557
  • cafe-practice-3.jpg
    cafe-practice-3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 551

Sam

Staff member
Mario, this is fantastic! Every student of engraving should study this photo of your background because THIS is the way it's supposed to be. Excellent job:beerchug:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam! Perhaps you've forgotten (i have seen your short video using GPS - really great - got tears in my eyes!) the very best Tutorial on this. I only followed the instructions there and this part of the work becomes the easy part. But the shading ... i think i am gonna search again on that helpful place
:)

mrthe

Another practice this way on a Nickel i have to learn cut little scrolls and this exercise was very helpfull another time thank you Sam ;)

hobosam.jpg

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
well, Sam, when are we going to see yours, hmmm? and if i may make a special request- would you mind cutting & shading your design exactly as you have it drawn?

for the record, (and perhaps i should have clarified this with the post of my version) the only changes i made to your design were done to better define certain lines & leaves so that i could shade them according to what i perceived as high & low areas, contours, transitions, etc., to maximize their 3-dimensional appearance, and to a lesser degree, help avoid some slight confusion in the lines. i also made these minor changes on the fly- no pencil ever touched paper or metal. i wasn't trying to "improve" on your design -just adapting it to my own style of shading this type of scroll. you no doubt have your perceptions of what these lines & shapes represent and i think we'd all like to what that is.

Latest posts

Sponsors