Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
very nice, Mario! your sketch is much closer to what I'd do with it if this were a relief sculpting exercise. it shows you have an excellent grasp of how shading lines are actually supposed to represent 3-dimensional contours. well done! (now let's see it in metal...)

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Mitch, thank you for the kind comment on my sketch.
...if this were a relief sculpting exercise.
I always thought, this is the goal when engraving things like this one - to achieve a nice three dimensional look. I really don't think that i am able do it. It would be a great challenge for beginners like me.
In every case i am attired by this very nice design which enables us to try boundless shading-options. Looking forward to what comes next...

doug

Here is my attempt at just the outline.I would like to here your thoughts before I continue with shading and backround.
Thanks for looking
Doug Picture 011.jpg

Dimas

Elite Cafe Member
Bueno aqui esta mi segunda prueba del scroll, me gusto el boceto dibujado de Mario, si lo llego a ver antes lo intento, Jean como siempre muy bueno con tu colorido.
Lo que no domino es precisamente esto, los sombreados por eso me viene bien la practica.
Bueno espero que os guste tambien esta. Saludos

Prueba Scroll 02.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Doug: Your photo is kind of out of focus but your lines look good and ready for shading.

Dimas: Nice job :) Your cutting is clean and your outlines sparkle. Nice job on the shading too :thumbsup:

doug

Yes the picture is bad so I dug out your article in issue 87 of The Engraver and started experimenting with the camera.Hope the next picture turns out better.
Doug

doug

Sam this thread has also become picture taking practice for me.Hope this ones a little better.

Attachments

• cutting and shading practice 022.jpg
    cutting and shading practice 022.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 698

Sam

Staff member
Much better, Doug. Now it's time to practice cropping. Good job with the photo.

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Right.. Think I'm done with this one.

Thanks alot Sam for issuing this challenge, I enjoyed it greatly and learnt alot about cutting these types of design. And also learnt that I really do need to practise and study shading more. I am quite disappointed with especially the middle leaf. Oh well.. Thankfully, I'm still young.

Any critique is warmly welcomed.

Can't remember if I wrote it in the last post by the way, the material is reindeer antler. Low quality practice plate so to say. Hence all the deep strange lines crossing the design here and there.

zfärdig!.jpg

:banana:

Sam

Staff member
I think you did really well, Jörmungandr. I know I wouldn't be comfortable with that material, but you handled it nicely. The engraving looks very rich and well shaded from my view :thumbsup:

This thread has gotten over 4,000 views, so apparently everyone has been interested in it!

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Give it a shot some time Sam, just remember. Be careful if using power tools to sand antlers if you plan to engrave it later. Heat hardens horn.

Thanks alot for the encouragement :). Need a bit before I dare put the knife to the mammoth ivory on the next project.. :p

Great job everyone else as well. This will be real interesting to put together everyones work in a folder, such diversity of shading!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my attempt at the practice plate design that Sam so graciously has submitted. Some things I like some not so much. Feel free to smack it around.
Mark

Attachments

• 20120223_24.jpg
    20120223_24.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 598