+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good deal thanks Sam

If there's a gap in the traffic this week I'm going to give that one a try and see what happens.

Cheers
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    yeah, yeah, yeah... funny how the microscript challenge was a contest (because our benevolent dictator was the self-appointed ringer...) btw- was an official winner ever declared?
    Not officially, but Brian Hochstrat turned in the last and smallest entry. He wins as far as I'm concerned. I was going to make a micro graver from a banjo string but didn't get around to it.

So let's see your version of this one, Mitch!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,
    Thank you for the practice design!
    I'm going to give it a try this week.
    Guy
    Guy Cohen Art
    www.guycohenart.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Scroll & Shading

Sam,I tell all my students about the Engraver's Cafe and Tips Archive,iGraver Tutorials.Good information for all.J.J.
    JJ Roberts
    School of Artistic Engraving
    Manassas, VA
    www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver
    www.jjrobertsengraver.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank ya, JJ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thank you Sam a great idea and a great opportunity to learn more , tomorrow i will try to cut this plate , i hope see soon some the versions of the other engravers of the forum will be very interesting!
    another time thank you

Post Thanks / Like

here ya go...

a few comments/observations-
    1) this was FUN! just slapping somebody else's (very nice) design on a soft flat piece of steel and merrily cutting away. most fun i've had doing this stuff in some time.

2) you'll notice i took liberties with the design. in particular, i broke up the 'spine' of the main scroll with the leaves and added a few 'puckers', 'pleats', or whatever you want to call them. also note that i keep those pinched pretty tight so they make little tear drop shapes (the leaf segments meet at a single line width)- i never leave them 'open mouthed'. i often use these 'pleats' to form the stems of leaves or spines of scrolls.

3) i probably should have reduced the size to maybe 3/4-2/3 of this (it's about 1.75"/4cm tall). i use a 90° sq. and it's difficult to make really big line width changes at this scale. doing it smaller would have made that stand out better.

4) note that construction lines & outlines tend to get wider/deeper as they go from the base/start/origin of the leaf out toward the tip, while shade lines are tapered in the opposite direction.

5) the layout is reversed because it was easier to just print Sam's design on my laser and use it as a direct transfer.
    Attached Images
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

8. Likes Dimas, bronc, west, GertGraveur, Jörmungandr and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heare my attemp ,sorry Sam for spoil your design and for the quality of the photo but only i have can use the iphone in the workshop today

Click image for larger version

Name:	samtg.png
Views:	848
Size:	725.2 KB
ID:	18738

Mitch very beautyfull your version!

Post Thanks / Like

Good work lads

Mitch`s somehow reminds me of Dr.Seuss the cat in the hat style for some reason, might be the lack of beer.
    Mrthe.. looks very nice indeed & i`d be well happy with that photo.

My effort is getting done in-between setting work..

11. Likes Dimas liked this post
    157mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in WVa
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Suess is one of my favorites too! LOL!! Ya know, that guy went to 30 different publishers to get his first book printed and all of them told him it would never sell.

I think I'll get in on this too and the timing is pretty good ... cuz a fun break is always good. btw ... Sam's design is in desperate need of modification but it's still salvageable (LOL just kidding ) ...