Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
scroll_practice.jpg

Per a suggestion, I've prepared a scroll practice project in .eps format which can be opened in every graphics application that I know of. Its size is 2" x 2" so it will fit a common practice plate.

I have drawn this as single width lines as opposed to indicating where the lines would widen when cut with a graver. That part is up to you, and if you're not up to speed on where and how lines vary in width, then this is a great opportunity to hone your skills. I will say that the scroll backbone line is probably the only line that is consistent in width and depth. Every other line in this design will vary. In fact, it would be a good idea for this to be a two-part project. First show how you would cut the outlines, then complete the work with shading. Just a suggestion...you can do it any way you wish.

This drawing isn't 100% perfect as you will see. The object was to produce a layout similar to what I would draw with a pencil on an article I was engraving, so you'll see small imperfections, overlaps, and areas that can use attention and improvement. Feel free to make those adjustments as you see fit. It shouldn't need any major adjustments and will produce a nicely finished design as-is.

Have fun with it and post your results. It'll be interesting to see how different engravers handle it, and that's how we'll all learn. This isn't limited to beginners. I would encourage the pros to cut this as well. Don't be shy!

You may download the eps file here.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Ha!!
That was quick Sam and thank you this should be fun and look forward to some photo's of this and the variations of cuts I will have a go this week as soon as I get some customers work out of the way. :pencil:
thanks again
Ray

Sam

Staff member
I should add that this is not a contest to see who can do it the best. This is a study to see how various engravers would handle it. :)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh, so it's one of those self-esteem exercises where everybody gets a participation ribbon, huh?

Sam

Staff member
oh, so it's one of those self-esteem exercises where everybody gets a participation ribbon, huh?

Yes, because if it was a contest you would undoubtedly win, and it wouldn't be fair to everyone else. ;)

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
Could we not send mitch a blunt gaver to handy cap him a little ?? :thinking: on second thought your right he would win with some of that loverly drop shadow work he does, I will have to try it one day if ever I become a real engraver :bow:
Ray

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There was an old geezer named Mitch,
Who constantly liked to b!tch,
Until he found, while drop-shading around,
His own particular niche.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, yeah, yeah... funny how the microscript challenge was a contest (because our benevolent dictator was the self-appointed ringer...) :thinking: btw- was an official winner ever declared?

Sam

Staff member
yeah, yeah, yeah... funny how the microscript challenge was a contest (because our benevolent dictator was the self-appointed ringer...) :thinking: btw- was an official winner ever declared?

Not officially, but Brian Hochstrat turned in the last and smallest entry. He wins as far as I'm concerned. I was going to make a micro graver from a banjo string but didn't get around to it.

So let's see your version of this one, Mitch!

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scroll & Shading

Sam,I tell all my students about the Engraver's Cafe and Tips Archive,iGraver Tutorials.Good information for all.:thumbsup:J.J.

mrthe

thank you Sam a great idea and a great opportunity to learn more , tomorrow i will try to cut this plate , i hope see soon some the versions of the other engravers of the forum will be very interesting!
another time thank you

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
here ya go...

a few comments/observations-
1) this was FUN! just slapping somebody else's (very nice) design on a soft flat piece of steel and merrily cutting away. most fun i've had doing this stuff in some time.

2) you'll notice i took liberties with the design. in particular, i broke up the 'spine' of the main scroll with the leaves and added a few 'puckers', 'pleats', or whatever you want to call them. also note that i keep those pinched pretty tight so they make little tear drop shapes (the leaf segments meet at a single line width)- i never leave them 'open mouthed'. i often use these 'pleats' to form the stems of leaves or spines of scrolls.

3) i probably should have reduced the size to maybe 3/4-2/3 of this (it's about 1.75"/4cm tall). i use a 90° sq. and it's difficult to make really big line width changes at this scale. doing it smaller would have made that stand out better.

4) note that construction lines & outlines tend to get wider/deeper as they go from the base/start/origin of the leaf out toward the tip, while shade lines are tapered in the opposite direction.

5) the layout is reversed because it was easier to just print Sam's design on my laser and use it as a direct transfer.

Attachments

• DSCN1349.jpg
    DSCN1349.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 1,074

mrthe

Heare my attemp :handpiece:,sorry Sam for spoil your design and for the quality of the photo but only i have can use the iphone in the workshop today

samtg.png

Mitch very beautyfull your version!:clapping:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Good work lads :thumbsup:

Mitch`s somehow reminds me of Dr.Seuss the cat in the hat style for some reason, might be the lack of beer.
Mrthe.. looks very nice indeed & i`d be well happy with that photo.

My effort is getting done in-between setting work..

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Dr. Suess is one of my favorites too! LOL!! Ya know, that guy went to 30 different publishers to get his first book printed and all of them told him it would never sell.

I think I'll get in on this too and the timing is pretty good ... cuz a fun break is always good. btw ... Sam's design is in desperate need of modification but it's still salvageable (LOL just kidding :)) ...

Sponsors