Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

doug

Well Sam here it is the finished product. I must say thanks for the challange.T he photo still isnt very good but I done the best I could, I may just need a better camera.I did try to crop this one,never knew how to do that before,Im not to handy with a computer so I must say this thread has taught me a lot.
Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• cutting and shading practice 036.jpg
    cutting and shading practice 036.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 653
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 650

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
mrthe: that is excellent in every respect! And so small! You guys are blowing me away.
Doug: Nice job!
Mitch: Yep, I'll cut one asap.

celticjohn

I had a go at Sam's plate, well a couple of attempts as you can see. I wasn't too happy with the first attempt. I think it was too much shading, if you can ever have too much shading. Second attempt was a little better. Attempt C looks crisper I think, a case of "less is more" maybe.
Really enjoyed this, amazing how different each person tackles the same piece.

Greetings from the Emerald Isle

Sorry should have numbered them. left to right from the top A, C, B, Group shot

Attachments

• scroll B.jpg
    scroll B.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 595
  • scroll C.jpg
    scroll C.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 593
  • scroll A.jpg
    scroll A.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 590
  • scroll group.jpg
    scroll group.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 593
Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
At long last i got mine done, too. A very sparkling thing :)

Attachments

• scroll-shading-1.jpg
    scroll-shading-1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 576
  • scroll-shading-2.jpg
    scroll-shading-2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 565

Sam

Staff member
Mario, that is nothing short of fantastic engraving my friend. Crisp, perfect, and beautifully shaded. I love it! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

celticjohn

Mario,

You've certainly raised the bar with that post.
That's the kind of shading I aspire to.
I'll have to have another attempt at it now.

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello John,
don’t care about my scratches, there are many mistakes in it. The guys here are very kind (thank you!). Have a look at this forum where you’ll find breathtaking examples of the world finest engravers. And don’t forget – 95 percent of the preliminary work was done by Sam. It is much easier to fill a good outline than a bad one.
And yes, I believe it is a good idea to try ones best. Have a look how many hits this thread has already ;)

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
These offerings are outstanding. When Sam first posted this thread, my initial reaction was, "Good idea, but I just don't have time for that right now."

But what I am seeing here has got me pumped, and my new camera arrived yesterday and needs to be used, so, in between other things, I think I will start one, just for fun, when I get back from the dentist today, (which is less fun).

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for the feedback bronc and MJF and others. Right now there are over 7,300 views of this thread which shows its popularity with the members. I'm thinking about doing this again next month and using the design of another engraver. If it continues to be well received, then maybe we can do it every month. Seeing how different engravers shade the same outline is a fantastic educational opportunity for all of us. BTW, I'm shading my version now and will post when it's finished.

So...would you like to see more of these exercises?

~Sam

mrthe

Sam i think that for people like me ,that want learning engraving and haven`t near schools or teachers ,it will be a great resource ( the forum in general too) have a good designs to practice ever is a great thing,and the best thing like you say is see how to go from the poin A to the B exists millons of ways,isa great opportunity to learning .....definitly YES i want see more!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, Do you think it would be educational for each design to include a time frame of execution? a correlation from simple shading to elaborate relief for a comparison? I know for me the question is always asked ... how long did it take you? Well, took me 30 years to get this point in my skill level is my typical answer.
Mark

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
"The monthly design and shading training." :p

Or something.. As my good Paolo up here said, for us that are a couple countries away from the closest teacher. This is worth ALOT! Doesn't need to be every month either.. But now and then, different designs, different types.. Etc.

Doesn't have to be just shading either? You could give us (forum folks) a fixed space. Circle with five cm diameter or something, fill this with a design of choice (outlines only and not to big I guess) then either pick or vote one design. Get a printable copy of it, new challenge, now everyone shade it! Or something like that... Just an idea I'm throwing into the ballpark. Feel free to kick it out ;)

Oh, and a thread in the Tips section with the pictures of everyones result in this thread is a splendid idea.

//DQ

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
Sam i think that for people like me ,that want learning engraving and haven`t near schools or teachers ,it will be a great resource ( the forum in general too) have a good designs to practice ever is a great thing,and the best thing like you say is see how to go from the poin A to the B exists millons of ways,isa great opportunity to learning .....definitly YES i want see more!
I agree with Mrthe. As a total novice, this has been great for me. I've already outlined 2 plates so I can try different ways of shading. Once a month would be terrific!

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
...would you like to see more of these exercises?
Yes please! I have learned a lot from your design and it makes a big difference to have such a good one like this. Though i have made mistakes when cutting the shading lines i "flaunt it in front of my shop window" :)

Sponsors