Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
My Turn

Being a new engraver and seeing all these wonderful pictures posted on this thread I'm posting mine. Any comments I would be glad to see. Thanks for sharing.
Gary DSC_3867.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice job, Gary! Perhaps a bit more rolling of the graver in the appropriate places and some finer taper on the startup of your shading cuts, but a nice job nonetheless! I've added it to the results threat :thumbsup:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
My Attempt

I think this is the first practice plate I actually finished. Think I learned a lot in the process. Thanks Sam! shading 2b.jpg

l. bacon

I,m slow!

I have had this practice plate finished for quite some time but just getting it posted here. I have to give all credit to Mitch for this as I copied his engraving practice plate. I am trying to learn this style as I have been a bright cutter all along. This is a big help Sam, and thinks Mitch for your wonderfull example. Sam_Alfano_shading_practice.jpg Larry

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Larry-

As i was scrolling down i thought, "hey, that one kinda looks like how i did it!" my interpretation was loosely based on how i envisioned the late, great Lynton McKenzie would have handled matters. large leaves with bold shade lines- looks good under a glass & at arm's length. you did a nice job with it!

i've actually been playing with a second go 'round on Sam's design- this time with much more design alterations, much more finely, and much more experimentally, shaded. if it doesn't turn out to be too big of a schizophrenic mess i'll post a pic...

Robert Morales

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't engraved anything lately so I thought this would be a good way to get going again. I put it on one of those small plated Zippo's I had laying around, Bad Idea! I stuffed it full of Thermo-Loc but it seemed to shrink just enough to allow the case to flex. So I slipped in a sheet of soda can to tighten it up. Then there's the problem of photographing shiny objects...

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok my turn now. I have seen all kind nice shaded ones here. One of my favourites is Mario’s one.
I was a rainy day here in Belgium on Easter Monday, and as I have nothing with Easter besides chasing chickens and eggs, I thought I give it a try. My studio is not at home so yes a vector attempt on the computer.

First I had to redraw Sam’s Vectors, as it seemed he used a kind of brush in Illustrator with fill instead of outline. Yes when printed it doesn’t matter that much, but I wanted to do some flair cut look on the main cuts as well. So mine are done with lines for those who are interested in Vector Designs.
And I know from Leonardo that his Artesa engraving machine is able to cut my Vectors, So Leonardo, if you read this, download my Vector file and show us the engraving version.

Here is the picture and here you can download the Vector in PDF format. If you open that, there are 3 layers you can hide or make visible.

arnaud

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arnaud, that is perfect! Not much else to say...how about engraving it next? :)

bthomas

Sorry I am so late to the party but wanted to join in. started with a piece of hot rolled rusted steel 2 " wide x 1/8" thick. Filed off the rust and scale. Lots of imperfections still present in the practice plate (both rust and scatches show the polishing was insufficient) and photos for me are always a challenge but I had a lot of fun with this. Cut it several times to sort of show progression of the process...hey its practice more is better. On the lastest version in series I included a bit of copper inlay . Bill

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bill, Nice work. Your shading is getting better with each. Next time you have a plate in the condition you state, even with black scale from rolling, try toilet bowl cleaner as first step. You'll be surprised at the effectiveness. Fred

bthomas

Thanks Fred for encouragement and for tip...I may pick up some toilet bowl cleaner for my own use in the garage (afraid of asking my wife if we have any as it may come with a chore) :)

I tried to get a less blurred picture of the inlayed version

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well it seems Leonardo did not read my post when I asked him to cut the design with his Artesa, so I will have to cut it seems before mine gets into the collection as well.

arnaud

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
another post to the 'thread that will not die'... i actually did this 2nd engraving a few weeks ago (when this thread was still a bit more active), but didn't get around to shooting it until yesterday. for comparison. i'm re-posting my first effort, too. as you can see, numero uno was done big, bold, & simple, with almost no modifications to Sam's original layout. my 2nd attempt has quite a few alterations and the shading is much finer, making for a much more intricate, interesting design overall. i also shrunk #2 a bit to limit the acreage needing shaded.
i figure i did the first one, maybe this will also be the last.

OK, ANYBODY KNOW WHY I CAN ONLY EVER LOAD ONE PHOTO AT A TIME??? WHY DO I ALWAYS HAVE TO CLOSE OUT, THEN GO BACK LATER TO UPLOAD ADDITIONAL PHOTOS?!?!?! First pic- ziiip! loads in about 2 seconds. 2nd pic? grinds, & grinds, & grinds, & grinds, & grinds, & grinds, and doesn't do jack**** EVERY FLIPPIN' TIME. :mad:

Attachments

• DSCN1395.jpg
    DSCN1395.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN1394.jpg
    DSCN1394.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

grumpyphil

Elite Cafe Member
I like this. It has style.
On another note, I wish we had a bit of "template" on these threads. I think it would be very helpful if the material engraved and the size of the work were stated.

Latest posts

Sponsors