Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

bravissimo, Mario!
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

Mario,

You've certainly raised the bar with that post.
    That's the kind of shading I aspire to.
    I'll have to have another attempt at it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello John,
    don’t care about my scratches, there are many mistakes in it. The guys here are very kind (thank you!). Have a look at this forum where you’ll find breathtaking examples of the world finest engravers. And don’t forget – 95 percent of the preliminary work was done by Sam. It is much easier to fill a good outline than a bad one.
    And yes, I believe it is a good idea to try ones best. Have a look how many hits this thread has already
    Subice te rebus et impera!

Post Thanks / Like

Mario, that is outstanding! I sure am enjoying this thread.

Stewart

Post Thanks / Like

These offerings are outstanding. When Sam first posted this thread, my initial reaction was, "Good idea, but I just don't have time for that right now."

But what I am seeing here has got me pumped, and my new camera arrived yesterday and needs to be used, so, in between other things, I think I will start one, just for fun, when I get back from the dentist today, (which is less fun).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback bronc and MJF and others. Right now there are over 7,300 views of this thread which shows its popularity with the members. I'm thinking about doing this again next month and using the design of another engraver. If it continues to be well received, then maybe we can do it every month. Seeing how different engravers shade the same outline is a fantastic educational opportunity for all of us. BTW, I'm shading my version now and will post when it's finished.

So...would you like to see more of these exercises?

~Sam

7. Likes bronc, GTJC460, Paulie, Cloudy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sam i think that for people like me ,that want learning engraving and haven`t near schools or teachers ,it will be a great resource ( the forum in general too) have a good designs to practice ever is a great thing,and the best thing like you say is see how to go from the poin A to the B exists millons of ways,isa great opportunity to learning .....definitly YES i want see more!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, Do you think it would be educational for each design to include a time frame of execution? a correlation from simple shading to elaborate relief for a comparison? I know for me the question is always asked ... how long did it take you? Well, took me 30 years to get this point in my skill level is my typical answer.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

"The monthly design and shading training." :-p

Or something.. As my good Paolo up here said, for us that are a couple countries away from the closest teacher. This is worth ALOT! Doesn't need to be every month either.. But now and then, different designs, different types.. Etc.

Doesn't have to be just shading either? You could give us (forum folks) a fixed space. Circle with five cm diameter or something, fill this with a design of choice (outlines only and not to big I guess) then either pick or vote one design. Get a printable copy of it, new challenge, now everyone shade it! Or something like that... Just an idea I'm throwing into the ballpark. Feel free to kick it out

Oh, and a thread in the Tips section with the pictures of everyones result in this thread is a splendid idea.

//DQ

11. Likes Ishokenmei liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrthe View Post
    Sam i think that for people like me ,that want learning engraving and haven`t near schools or teachers ,it will be a great resource ( the forum in general too) have a good designs to practice ever is a great thing,and the best thing like you say is see how to go from the poin A to the B exists millons of ways,isa great opportunity to learning .....definitly YES i want see more!
    I agree with Mrthe. As a total novice, this has been great for me. I've already outlined 2 plates so I can try different ways of shading. Once a month would be terrific!

13. Likes Ishokenmei liked this post