+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scroll cutting & shading practice #1

scroll_practice.jpg

Per a suggestion, I've prepared a scroll practice project in .eps format which can be opened in every graphics application that I know of. Its size is 2" x 2" so it will fit a common practice plate.

I have drawn this as single width lines as opposed to indicating where the lines would widen when cut with a graver. That part is up to you, and if you're not up to speed on where and how lines vary in width, then this is a great opportunity to hone your skills. I will say that the scroll backbone line is probably the only line that is consistent in width and depth. Every other line in this design will vary. In fact, it would be a good idea for this to be a two-part project. First show how you would cut the outlines, then complete the work with shading. Just a suggestion...you can do it any way you wish.

This drawing isn't 100% perfect as you will see. The object was to produce a layout similar to what I would draw with a pencil on an article I was engraving, so you'll see small imperfections, overlaps, and areas that can use attention and improvement. Feel free to make those adjustments as you see fit. It shouldn't need any major adjustments and will produce a nicely finished design as-is.

Have fun with it and post your results. It'll be interesting to see how different engravers handle it, and that's how we'll all learn. This isn't limited to beginners. I would encourage the pros to cut this as well. Don't be shy!

You may download the eps file here.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Ha!!
    That was quick Sam and thank you this should be fun and look forward to some photo's of this and the variations of cuts I will have a go this week as soon as I get some customers work out of the way.
    thanks again
    Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that this is not a contest to see who can do it the best. This is a study to see how various engravers would handle it.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Default No contest

What no pencil for the winner ???

Post Thanks / Like

oh, so it's one of those self-esteem exercises where everybody gets a participation ribbon, huh?
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    oh, so it's one of those self-esteem exercises where everybody gets a participation ribbon, huh?
    Yes, because if it was a contest you would undoubtedly win, and it wouldn't be fair to everyone else.

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Sam
    Could we not send mitch a blunt gaver to handy cap him a little ?? on second thought your right he would win with some of that loverly drop shadow work he does, I will have to try it one day if ever I become a real engraver
    Ray
    Last edited by rayf24; 02-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There was an old geezer named Mitch,
    Who constantly liked to b!tch,
    Until he found, while drop-shading around,
    His own particular niche.

9. Likes JJ Roberts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For more info on beveling cuts see this tutorial. Beveling
    Cuts

Nice limerick DKanger

Join me on Facebook

Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, yeah, yeah... funny how the microscript challenge was a contest (because our benevolent dictator was the self-appointed ringer...) btw- was an official winner ever declared?
    Mitch Moschetti

MRM ENGRAVING
    www.mrmengraving.com