Critique Request My new scrimshaw attempts.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Hi folks! After discovering this wonderful engraving world since a couple of years, viewing all the fine engravings & scrimshaw posted & shared by all members, absorbing all the good tips & tricks about engraving and scrimshaw (thanks a lot everybody!!), now... it 's time for me to show off my attempts! Because I had already drawing, sculpting & relief carving experience, also have been a tattoo artist for about 10 years and I 've always used a lot of stippling technique with pen & black ink on paper, that 's why I feel more familiar with scrimshaw. Therefore I feel it 's rather my scrimshaw attempts to start showing first;). My very first attempts on alternative and pre ban ivory you can check out on my profile at 'my works'. This leopard facial fragment is my first wildlife (8 x 2,6 centimeters) scrimmed on (a piece of) an old ivory letter opener from the Congo. Any critique and advice welcome! Greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

Attachments

• Leopard scrimshaw on pre ban Ivory 6.jpg
    Leopard scrimshaw on pre ban Ivory 6.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 257
  • Leopard scrimshaw.jpg
    Leopard scrimshaw.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 251

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow Paulie, incredible !!
I can't comment on scrimshaw because I never practiced it but to me this is outstanding.
Also the fact you left something to guess by not filling in the whole head is well done.
An old letter opener from the Congo ??? a piece of Belgian heritage ????

Last edited:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Wow Paulie, incredible !!
I can't comment on scrimshaw because I never practiced it but to me this is outstanding.
Also the fact you left something to guess by not filling in the whole head is well done.
An old letter opener from the Congo ??? a piece of Belgian heritage ????
Dank u voor het mooie compliment, Willem! Yes, I used a piece of an old ivory letter opener from the Congo, which I bought especially to cut in pieces & have some legal (old) ivory to scrim on! The skull and tribal exercise (pendants) at 'my works' on my personal profile are done on 2 parts of the tip of the letter opener. Now I still have 4 nice pieces of blank ivory left. The original letter opener was nothing special, just a simple straight one without any carving or decoration on! Groetjes, Paulie

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Most impressive. The Cafe has taught you well.

Thanks for the nice compliment, Ed! Yes the Cafe, but.... not only the Cafe of course, I 've been busy on the creative path myself for more than 35 years! ;-) I guess it 's gonna be a life long journey!! Greetings Paulie

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
That looks most excellent!! Great work... I need to try this scrim business one of these days...

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
That looks most excellent!! Great work... I need to try this scrim business one of these days...
:tiphat: Thanks for the nice comment Andy! I can only do my best, in fact I urgently need to finish my engraving corner to practice & upgrade my engraving skills (only have some hand push learning experience so far). However... the scrimshaw virus has hit me:shock: from the first time I saw some examples on the engraving forums! I 'm impressed with your progress on the engraving & hobo nickel thing, Andy:thumbsup:!! Greetings Paulie:beerchug:

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Neat job Paulie...
looks great..
ps als ik van jou was zou ik nie teveel tijd verspelen met het leren hand steken.. initiatieven genoeg voor zelfde resultaten, minder frustraties, en tijd voor andere zaken ;-)
Groeten Frank

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
Neat job Paulie...
looks great..
ps als ik van jou was zou ik nie teveel tijd verspelen met het leren hand steken.. initiatieven genoeg voor zelfde resultaten, minder frustraties, en tijd voor andere zaken ;-)
Groeten Frank
:tiphat: Thanks for liking & for the nice comment Frank P! Merci hé maat;) Neenee, ik ben bijna rond om de compresseur eindelijk aan mijne GraverMax aan te sluiten (spijtig dat 't door de winterse vriestemperaturen wat vertraging heeft in mijn schuur/werkplaatske), dat handsteken is idd voor acrobaten!!! Alhoewel het met de ballvise wel beter gaat dan met de oeroude 'lakstok methode'. Groeten, Paulie:beerchug:

Latest posts

Sponsors