How to Tessellate small scrols

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I posted this on the Lindsay forum, and Steve suggested I put it up here also, here it is:

This is an application of "Inductive Layout". An ancient method of laying out scrolls I rediscovered while traveling the middle east and southern europe.
It utilizes a repeating frame, a hexagon, a " Tessellation"...
I hope it expands your ideas of how to fill an area.

1. First we lay out a hexagonal pattern to fill most of the space.
2. Next we draw in the ovals to size the scrolls, using the hexagon as a frame.
3. Then we draw in the scrolls, hanging them on the frame.
4. Then we cut the scrolls.
5.Then we finish shading them.

" Hang it higher, up there, higher, that would be the hippest"- Jerry Garcia

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
This is really interesting. Looking at the end result, I can't see a hint of the layout method as the patch of scrolls look totally random. I'm wondering if you could make a vector version of ovals of arranged in this fashion and then print them out for transfer.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is really interesting. Looking at the end result, I can't see a hint of the layout method as the patch of scrolls look totally random. I'm wondering if you could make a vector version of ovals of arranged in this fashion and then print them out for transfer.

Did this ever get vectorized?

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
great stuff, barry. do you recall the degree of the oval template you used ? i'm curious about that.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
I know this is an old topic but us new folks have been encouraged to do a lot of searching of old threads so I assume talking about old threads would naturally be ok. I see what has been done with the ovals here but can't see how the ovals end up to the finished outcome. The scrolls look very nice but can't see how the tie together. I would like to learn how to do some scrollwork layout but for me it has to have some negative space in it and not be endless circles filling every inch.

monk

Staff member
barry posted this quite some time ago. at that time i created a "batch" of hexagonals in corel draw. i can print them any size needed. from there just practice this on paper before committing to the metal. by making an 8 x 10 sheet in corel, down sizing to size needed, the pattern can be made to fit just about any article you would want to engrave.
not too easily done on compound curves.. i also did a pattern based on equilateral triangles.
if you want more of a background, forget this design idea, and just start practicing with a pencil. pencil geometry is always the same, and is much faster to sharpen. get a looseleaf and keep all your drawings. it's a good habit to get into. this way, you have a chronology of progress. as far as old posts go, if they were good then, they're just as valid now.

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Monk can you show pics of how this pattern develops? I guess I can't see how it gets from hexagons with a bunch of ovals to the scrolls in the end. If I saw this step by step I would understand it but the pics posted are skipping a few things lol.

Hayes

Barry thank you for posting this procedure this really helps doing layout.

Hayes

monk

Staff member
Monk can you show pics of how this pattern develops? I guess I can't see how it gets from hexagons with a bunch of ovals to the scrolls in the end. If I saw this step by step I would understand it but the pics posted are skipping a few things lol.
later thi pm, i'' do that. just be patient. i'm old and busy. mostly old/

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dad
MTC this is a advanced method of doing scroll work, you will be better served to learn the basics first. Walk before you run

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
Dave thank you for the reply. Could you post a link to something here that shows more of how to build the basic skills? It seems this forum would have a very good tutorial for such a thing but I have searched a ton and haven't found much that direction here for some reason.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave thank you for the reply. Could you post a link to something here that shows more of how to build the basic skills? It seems this forum would have a very good tutorial for such a thing but I have searched a ton and haven't found much that direction here for some reason.
If I remember correctly, you'll find info on how to cut, but drawing is probabaly not covered as much because it is covered in the various book and dvd made. This is only my assumption. Although drawing scrolls is basically consists of three basic shapes, placing those shapes in harmony is not that easily accomplished this is where the books and dvds come in, takes practice as you practice it will begin to make sense and your skills will grow.

Didyoung made a video not long ago giving some drawing techniques.

Saludos,
Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
hey, dad this is just a very rough sketch as to how it could be done. i left the center without an oval. this would give you a bit of room for something else. i think it a waste of time to draw everything. just concentrate on the scrolls. this technique shown by barry can lead to some very interesting results

Attachments

• TESSEL DOC.JPG
    TESSEL DOC.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 227

Dad of 3

Elite Cafe Member
All I see is a bunch of very small scrolls. Looks nothing like what Barry got to. can you draw out 3 scrolls that uses 6 or more of the ovals to make one scroll? I think I could get my head around it then. I think I will like this way of making a scroll pattern.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors