has any one ever built a air engraver

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
It is the tinkerer, the tool builder that will probably be responsible for the next innovative tools. They are the ones that are always trying to design a better mouse trap. Some will be overrun with "mice" because they spend too much time working on designing a better trap. But sooner or later one will become successful and a lot of people will beat a path to their door for a better "trap".

akbill

I already have a lathe, mill and just about every other tool, I want a machine which is low noise,dependable and very flexible. I have no problem buying tools. I just what to know how it's built,how and why it works. I am the same with My Boat, Car. Plane and all My toys. I bought a hand piece to mod, but I will have made a half dozen by the time I get it. I would say for the average Joe/Jill Just buy the hand piece, follow the People on Youtube and You should be chewing up metal in no time. I am impressed with the engraving out there, it take skill and lots of practice. Throwing money away on tools is never a bad thing. Just some don't have it to through away. If you are going into business, by all means get the tools and start producing. If it's just for fun build Your own. Rant over., AKBill
I'm puzzled. How is it one can afford a lathe but can't afford a hand piece?

akbill

40 bucks for a hand piece on Aliexpress, the rest is easy for less than another 60. Macguyver wish He had My number. With a little tweeking it should kick ass. AKBill
I can show you how to build a working handpiece and pump for less than $100
Without using a lathe or any fancy tools.
Yeah, it's not going to be nearly as good as a professional outfit, but for a beginning setup it works.
With a lathe it just makes it easier and more efficient.

Spend a couple of hours making handpiece, start engraving.

Save up for a full outfit might take years for some people.
If bought on credit you end up paying even more for the privilege of owning something.

I personally do not use credit any more than I absolutely have to.
I have NO debts, own my farm, cars, tools and have money in the bank.
Still, I make as many of my things as I can.
And Yeah, In the event of a Zombie apocalypse, I'm the one you want on your team.
MacGyver has ME on speed dial.
Cause I can build anything.

Victorvile

To start/stop and control the speed of the 12 V compressor,can one use the switch of a cordless drill?

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
A 12v drill switch shoud work.
Make a foot pedal to operate it, I would find a 12v transformer and drive off that rather than batteries.
Although a portable setup would be sweet!
Take the drill apart, save the motor for the drive, use the switch as the speed control. Run off the batteries.
Great idea Victorville!

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
40 bucks for a hand piece on Aliexpress, the rest is easy for less than another 60. Macguyver wish He had My number. With a little tweeking it should kick ass. AKBill

Akbill, we should team up, between the two of us we could reinvent the wheel.!
Or at least improve it.
Wonder sometimes how people get through life without knowing how to make things on machine tools.

On the handpiece,
I always feel like I'm cheating buying from China, patent and trademark rights are a good thing to respect.
But..
I bought an engraving ball online a while back on Amazonk, (no patents on that) for $139 with free shipping.
It was offered as a generic vise, no maker name or false advertising.

I got lucky, I planned on getting it for parts for my own home made heavy vise.
What I got was a very good copy of a GRS vise. Well made, in a GRS box with all the GRS paperwork and accessories.
Made in the USA on the box?
Even had the GRS logo on top of the vise.

I know it isn't actually made by them, but a good Chinese? counterfeit.
I feel uneasy about talking about it here, hope I don't step on any toes by admitting it.
It's a decent vise, but I would not suggest taking the risk, too many bad copies online.
Karma can be a beyatch.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
To start/stop and control the speed of the 12 V compressor,can one use the switch of a cordless drill?

I have 2 bum legs, so a foot controller is out of the picture. I have been trying to figure out a slide speed switch like on a Dremel that I could incorporate into the hand piece. But my electronics expert hasn't answered his phone for a week.

akbill

Chinese are people to. I had a couple of patents, the Chinese didn't screw me our US government did. Trade marks are all the protection one needs. Name it make it sell it. If it a good product they will buy. GRS, Lindsey, may be the best that is offered, however there is always someone nipping at Your heels. Likely the big boys are outsourcing and Your vice might be real? I was so desperate to try engraving, I sharpened up an allen wrench put it in a tool engraver and engraved a few coins. the results blew me away, I can actually do it. This week all of tool steel and carbide will be in and I should be making chips. I am also waiting on some GRS tool holders. Bought from a US supplier, likely made in China. I may have to sell all this stuff in the end, if I can't build a quiet enough unit. That is still My biggest question, thus far all the videos I seen the machine and tools make too much noise. It doesn't take much to set off My tinnitus.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Years ago, in the days when the Gravermeister was the only option, I couldn't stand the racket either.

I built a plywood "muffler box" lined with eggcrate foam and used an overhead bathroom fan to keep the unit cool while enclosed.

At the bottom of the box was the vent. It was on wheels so it could be rolled around.

Eventually, I rolled it outside and ran the tubing through the wall... added a remote switch on my bench.

That solved the noise problem during the years that I used that particular power assist. You might try some sort of variation on that?

Brian

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Of course, the Chinese are people too.
I have tremendous respect for the people and the culture.
Some Of the products coming from there (as well as here) are questionable.
When anyone brands something as a trademarked product I expect it to be legit.
In too many instances it doesn't workout that way.

But their quality is improving.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I have 2 bum legs, so a foot controller is out of the picture. I have been trying to figure out a slide speed switch like on a Dremel that I could incorporate into the hand piece. But my electronics expert hasn't answered his phone for a week.

Dispatcher, send me a private message, I bet we can figure out something.
I am not an electronic expert by any means, but I work with some, and maybe we can figure something out.
I hate having someone held back because of physical or financial issues.
We can do this.

akbill

I am only just starting out at engraving. Where there is Akbill there is a way I worked as a tool and die maker, before becoming a retired flaky artist. I am sure any system using a compressor is going to make noise. A rotary pump may solve the noise issue. I also like the swing arm compressors used in small refers. The trouble with them is they are sealed. So dealing the valves is tough, I will rip into one and see. I would like to keep the system oil less. Even the best system that I looked at air free flowing or captive has limits as to beats per minute. Think bleeding the brakes on Your car any air in the system makes it mushy. The limit is Ones imagination, the physical limits in the real world, and time. If You want to get engraving, build the low tech version. If your like Me, I want the best system possible, even if I have to build it from scratch. I won't waist time on the small stuff gravers,tool holders and such. A semi hydraulic system that's a challenge!

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Hydraulic could work.
You know if you think about it, the whole thing boils down to energy transfer.
The realistic amount of kinetic energy need is pretty small.
I wonder if a reciprocating field coil handpiece could be made small enough to fit.
Small wall wart size power supply, variable speed, maybe the electronic bits from a sonic care toothbrush.
They use reversing magnetic fields to jiggle the brush head.

Ha, so now its in common commons since the idea is now open.
No patent for the one...

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
One 12 v air compressor I had used both a high pressure piston pump and a diaphragm pump for blowing up air mattresses.
With a sewing machine motor and the diaphragm pump it should be pretty quiet.
I gave it away to a friend.
If he hasn't used it maybe I'll see if I can make it work.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Akbill watch this video. https://youtu.be/Ddoa9v3dIP8 After he enclosed the pump the noise factor was a lot lower. At first it was awful, but the pump was nether mounted nor enclosed. I think the controls can be mounted at the desk and the pump mounted a short distance away and the noise factor will be minimal. But I don't know for sure. I have had the tinnitus since 1969, I use ear muffs with a radio in them to kill background noise.

Jim I sent you an email about he hand control issue.

akbill

I have a few solenoids that are small enough. Also tattoo machines have a stroke that dig a needle into the skin the stroke is a bit long. A unit that has a limiter as to the stroke should solve that problem, this may help in the present hand pieces. Air is just too mushy. A simple marking tool has been shone to have too much power and stroke. A unit one tenth the size should fit in the typical hand piece. Patents are useless. One can only enforce a patent if You have lawyers up the ying yang. As with justice, You can have all the justice You can afford. Invent, Build ,Enjoy, let the others try to decide Who owns it. I know I will not make a lot of money at building tools for engravers, nor do need or have to. When the SHTF I have that covered, then guess Who is on top?
One 12 v air compressor I had used both a high pressure piston pump and a diaphragm pump for blowing up air mattresses.
With a sewing machine motor and the diaphragm pump it should be pretty quiet.
I gave it away to a friend.
If he hasn't used it maybe I'll see if I can make it work.

Latest posts

Sponsors