has any one ever built a air engraver

welafong1

Have you seen the NGraver affectionately known as THE RED RATTLER.

If not powered by air, then how will it be powered?

Vacuum, Electric. Water, Nuclear????

Inquiring minds want to know.

Powered tools have made it easier for a lot of folks to become proficient engravers than would have possible without them.

Please, everybody don't get your shorts in a knot. I've crossed over to and from the dark side so many times I can hardly tell the difference between tools anymore. :shock: I just pick one up and go.

I use them, not exclusively, I have or had , GRS, Gravermax & Gravermeister, ( I got mine from John Rohner :cool: ), Lidsay Classic, Palm $ Foot Control, NGraver, Vibrating engravers, NKS & GRS Air Turbines, they all have a place on the bench, but when push comes to shove the hammer and chisel & push tools are the GOLD standard of the worlds best engravers. :hammer:

Go for it, maybe you've got a better mouse trap, if it's any good I'll probably own one of yours to.

Electric i am not to shore it will work like i said thats down the road i dont want to say much about this till i get the air graver done i am loooking for one thats coast a little
thank you
Richard Westerfield

welafong1

It's already been invented a few hundred years ago and it's called a hammer/chisel and a push graver. :)

Just like buying some flour and making money as a chef................Oh if it were only that easy. :)

Cheers
Andrew

i can not use a hammer or chisel due to stroke and cant use one arm
Richard Westerfield

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe just buy one,and reverse engineer it.

Then you can sell the original.

Or,check the patents,and go from there.

Maybe you could manage push engraving,with a potters wheel vise set-up.

mike

welafong1

i will try puch engraving. also i have a potters wheel partly built its a shot putt with a grove cut in to it holding a small vice bolted in the shot putt
thanks
Richard Westerfield

akbill

Do it, There are videos. Check out Sean Huges on youtube , when a guy with his skill uses a home made engraver. Mr. Huges is using the machine to do great work, it is only a mater of time before the indusry catches up with this low tech approach Enjoy what gives You pleasure. (End of rant) QUOTE=welafong1;107655]dear sir
i am not trying to build a air compresser nor am i trying to build a steam engine i am trying to build a small air powered engaver i have ask for plans and help witch i have recived from many of you i am about to build one soon .i have build one that did not work.i have had some folks say buy one or forget about it cant be done .i am not to give up so easey i think my latest try will work time will tell i will wate and and see when and if i do i will start on a new type of engraver that works with out air
thank you
Richard Westerfield[/QUOTE]

akbill

Sorry to hear that. The low tech approach touted by Sean Huges is a good fit, If You need help contact Me. I can always spare a little time for a fellow craftsman.
i can not use a hammer or chisel due to stroke and cant use one arm
Richard Westerfield

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While trying to make a engraving hand piece I can make enough money engraving to buy about 25 of them.
I would love to make a very small variable speed sander , pen sized. There should be some way to make one work on a gravermach. There are some but the stroke is too short and they are not variable speed. The ones now made only have a maximum strike of about 1 MM or less, also the stroke needs to be linear.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Agreed, an accomplished engraver can make more money with his purchased tools than its worth to make his own.

Unfortunatly, that comparison isn't valid in this case.
A newbie isn't going to get paid as much for his/her time as a pro can get.
And may not have the cash to invest in an expensive experiment to see if they have the talent.
Why not try making your own tools if it is something you feel like trying?

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
The home brewed concoctions will bring the hobbyists of engraving into the mechanized world. I have been retired for over 17 years, I am not looking for a new occupation, I am here on the Café to learn how to engrave a little and help improve my wood carving designs. Shaun Hughes and the people on the Café like Elvis and Moldy Jim are helping the hobbyists to move up the ladder from hand pushing and hammer and chisel to get mechanized at a reasonable cost.

I have no need to spend $1000 or more for a professional set up, it would be used so little that it would be wasted dollars. But spending less $100 making one will be a lesson on both the function of the machine and an education in itself. I enjoy that time I have spent researching, contacting others for assistance, their suggestions and willingness to help is enough encouragement to make the leap in constructing one. Found a series of videos where a guy builds one from scratch, the scrap metal pile and adds a $15 compressor and a $15 controller. But I am not that inclined, I will follow the lead of Hughes, Elvis and Jim to construct one. And it's use will mostly likely be about 90% woodcarving.

Sontax

Hi everyone. I made two airgravers so far. They do the work but they need too much amount of air because I failed to adjust the pistons and the cylinders. I am working now on a new one on which I will be able to change the size of the piston depending on the metal I will work on.
I am new to engraving and I also need to make my own tools because I cant afford spending much money on them. Here is a picture of my two failed attempts.
they work but the air compressor I have at home, which has a 6 liters tank, starts too often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Agreed, an accomplished engraver can make more money with his purchased tools than its worth to make his own.

Unfortunatly, that comparison isn't valid in this case.
A newbie isn't going to get paid as much for his/her time as a pro can get.
And may not have the cash to invest in an expensive experiment to see if they have the talent.
Why not try making your own tools if it is something you feel like trying?

He isn't going to learn engraving by making a hand piece either.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
He isn't going to learn engraving by making a hand piece either.

Jerry, he isn't going to learn to engrave if he doesn't have a tool to work with.
I know what you're are saying, but think of his situation. He has a tough row to hoe.
With only one hand working H&C are out.
And with lack of funds his options are to poor boy hand build something.
I admire his will to struggle to learn with what is available to him.
Just my opinion.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I can show you how to build a working handpiece and pump for less than $100
Without using a lathe or any fancy tools.
Yeah, it's not going to be nearly as good as a professional outfit, but for a beginning setup it works.
With a lathe it just makes it easier and more efficient.

Spend a couple of hours making handpiece, start engraving.

Save up for a full outfit might take years for some people.
If bought on credit you end up paying even more for the privilege of owning something.

I personally do not use credit any more than I absolutely have to.
I have NO debts, own my farm, cars, tools and have money in the bank.
Still, I make as many of my things as I can.
And Yeah, In the event of a Zombie apocalypse, I'm the one you want on your team.
MacGyver has ME on speed dial.
Cause I can build anything.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Well, rereading my last post, I came off kinda ranty didn't I ?
Sorry bout that.
I'm a nerd about building tools.
Whenever anyone tells me I can't do something, I do it just to prove a point.

If you make a living or are planning on doing so with engraving, by all means buy the best tools you can get.
Professional tools are worth the price if you can make them pay for themselves.
Ill shut up now.
:)

Latest posts

Sponsors