has any one ever built a air engraver

welafong1

has any one ever built a air engraver if so would you
be willing to shear your work shuch as blue prints and drawings
thank you
richard westerfield

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
there are a wide variety of patents on file at www.uspto.gov -while not blueprints*, they will give you the gist of how they work. have at it!

*the general standard for patents is that a "person generally skilled in the art" could recreate the invention from the information disclosed in the patent.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I know of a few that have been made by hobby and professional machinists who enjoy making their own tools, but I don't know of any blueprints. Just thinking out loud here, I would categorize the do-it-yourself handpiece makers into 3 categories: 1.) someone who simply gets satisfaction from making their own tools, 2.) someone who would like to experiment with modifications, and 3.) someone who's trying to save a buck and make their own. In my opinion, few in category 3 will end up with a comparable product and actually save money.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
It shouldn't be too difficult to put together a 555 or similar timer circuit with a Mac valve to send pulses of air to a GRS hand piece. Where are you located?

Joe Paonessa

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually, I'd love to see you start from the "Blank slate" approach and do it all by yourself. Looking at blue prints and patents will impart some influence on your endeavor.
If you start clean, you just might surprise yourself and create something that is totally unique.
Look at what micromotors did you the Radio-control flying hobby. Airplanes and choppers are so cheap and easily flyable these days.
When I was into R/C flying, you needed about $1000.00 of stuff just to get to the runway---and you ruined the first 5 airplanes in a matter of seconds.
Have at it..........

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree 100% with Sam's assessment. If your doing it for the fun of it go for it. I certainly understand that. There are some things I just like to make because I enjoy making things even though I could buy one cheaper if I count my time as having value.

IF your doing it to try and save a few dollars your probably going to end up pushing a rope uphill. The companies making these for sale have already gone through all the R&D, overcome all the pitfalls, etc. It will likely take a few prototypes to get one that works as good as a GRS gravermach or Lindsay airgraver.

As for blueprints, I would bet the only folks who would have mechanical drawings are going to be Steve and GRS and neither is going to be willing to hand over the secrets to their main product line. I know there have been knocks offs of both systems coming out of Asia but In those cases I am sure one was purchased and then copied.

me2cyclops

I have done this
I built (unsuccessfully) several attempts at lindsays airgraver
several other attempts at other patent drawings and one succsesful working model based off a patent for a rock drill from ~1890 (worked but consumed WAY too much air)
then I bought a palmcontrol from steve so I could engrave instead of putzing around in the machine shop
still use my miniature rock drill for stippling occasionally just for fun

your mileage may very

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Richard
yes you can make your own air tool but it does take time and some machining skill my background is engineering R&D and have been design most of my life and yes I have been building a prototype air tool that starts from dead stop thats no air running through it and has a soft start to element to stop jumping when the piston come in to play plus other features.
Should you wish to go down this road do your home work and research like ray cover said it like pushing a rope uphill I am not saying dont do it but your time may well be better spent practicing the drawing skills and basic H&C skills as many people have said on these forums tools dont make the engraver but these air tools do reduce the learning curve there thats my 5 cents worth
good luck:handpiece:
ray

welafong1

hi ray
i would like to know if you will sell your engraver when your done builing it just wondering?
thank you
richard westerfield

Last edited:

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Hi richard
At this point in time I wont be sell it but thats not to say that some time in the future I may I have had a number of skype conversations with Christian De over on the engravers studio about tool design he has one that should be released soon and by the sound of it, It maybe very good as is the lindsay tool and the grs each tool will suit different work and people
One of my early tools didn't have the impact that I wanted but runs fast and you can do very fine cutting with it so I now just use it to shade with but as I said and as sam pointed out one can spend a great amount of time playing and making such tools and time is money if its within your reach buy a system and spend the extra time practising or drawing if you plan to make engraving your life dont waste time, someone once showed me this formular.
LOTS OF TIME = little money
little time = LOTS OF MONEY
Which one is the best ???? This means dont be lazy but work smart ;)
regards
ray

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Richard,

I have always loved making stuff, but I would not want to make a copy of a modern air compressor... lots of important material choices.

However, if I wanted to have some mechanical fun with compressed air as a by-product, and if I had a good small tool room with metal lathe and vertical milling machine as musts, I would take a leaf out of live steam model engines, say of the low speed high torque kind, and troll the model engineering sites, or google:

"model stationary steam engines"

Plans abound, and they are a ton of fun to make, but once made and shown to work on compressed air, then have it work in reverse by driving it with an electric motor belt drive to the big flywheel rim and turn it into a pretty quiet air compressor?

Rod

welafong1

Richard,

I have always loved making stuff, but I would not want to make a copy of a modern air compressor... lots of important material choices.

However, if I wanted to have some mechanical fun with compressed air as a by-product, and if I had a good small tool room with metal lathe and vertical milling machine as musts, I would take a leaf out of live steam model engines, say of the low speed high torque kind, and troll the model engineering sites, or google:

"model stationary steam engines"

Plans abound, and they are a ton of fun to make, but once made and shown to work on compressed air, then have it work in reverse by driving it with an electric motor belt drive to the big flywheel rim and turn it into a pretty quiet air compressor?

Rod
dear sir
i am not trying to build a air compresser nor am i trying to build a steam engine i am trying to build a small air powered engaver i have ask for plans and help witch i have recived from many of you i am about to build one soon .i have build one that did not work.i have had some folks say buy one or forget about it cant be done .i am not to give up so easey i think my latest try will work time will tell i will wate and and see when and if i do i will start on a new type of engraver that works with out air
thank you
Richard Westerfield

barney

hey guys just buy the lindsay airgraver and you will have the best there is then make your money engraving

Andrew Biggs

when and if i do i will start on a new type of engraver that works with out air

It's already been invented a few hundred years ago and it's called a hammer/chisel and a push graver. :)

hey guys just buy the lindsay airgraver and you will have the best there is then make your money engraving

Just like buying some flour and making money as a chef................Oh if it were only that easy. :)

Cheers
Andrew

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I have a machine shop and heat treating ovens and I bought rather than built a power graver. I have built target rifles from scratch so I get the make it yourself deal but to me a power graver is just too much trouble for the price.

scott99

kguns

dear sir
a new type of engraver that works with out air
thank you
Richard Westerfield

Have you seen the NGraver affectionately known as THE RED RATTLER.

If not powered by air, then how will it be powered?

Vacuum, Electric. Water, Nuclear????

Inquiring minds want to know.

Powered tools have made it easier for a lot of folks to become proficient engravers than would have possible without them.

Please, everybody don't get your shorts in a knot. I've crossed over to and from the dark side so many times I can hardly tell the difference between tools anymore. :shock: I just pick one up and go.

I use them, not exclusively, I have or had , GRS, Gravermax & Gravermeister, ( I got mine from John Rohner :cool: ), Lidsay Classic, Palm $ Foot Control, NGraver, Vibrating engravers, NKS & GRS Air Turbines, they all have a place on the bench, but when push comes to shove the hammer and chisel & push tools are the GOLD standard of the worlds best engravers. :hammer:

Go for it, maybe you've got a better mouse trap, if it's any good I'll probably own one of yours to.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that is an idea that intrigues me. A self-contained portable steam-powered hand-held graver. I want one!

welafong1

It's already been invented a few hundred years ago and it's called a hammer/chisel and a push graver. :)

Just like buying some flour and making money as a chef................Oh if it were only that easy. :)

Cheers
Andrew

would have but i do not have the use of one arm due to stroke

Latest posts

Sponsors