has any one ever built a air engraver

basiecally

I have a few solenoids that are small enough. Also tattoo machines have a stroke that dig a needle into the skin the stroke is a bit long. A unit that has a limiter as to the stroke should solve that problem, this may help in the present hand pieces. Air is just too mushy. A simple marking tool has been shone to have too much power and stroke. A unit one tenth the size should fit in the typical hand piece. Patents are useless. One can only enforce a patent if You have lawyers up the ying yang. As with justice, You can have all the justice You can afford. Invent, Build ,Enjoy, let the others try to decide Who owns it. I know I will not make a lot of money at building tools for engravers, nor do need or have to. When the SHTF I have that covered, then guess Who is on top?

I Think it's not a big deal if air is too "mushy". It's also springy and I Think that's kind of what you need. The flow resistance in a hydraulic system would require a lot of energy and to achieve the same impact velocity for the piston you would need a very large conductive tubing, as not to blow anything up... Correct me if I'm wrong but hydraulics are excellent when you need big forces, high precision and static load bearing capacity. For higher speed applications air is preferrable. That is if you need to change the direction of the flow. For turbines, fluid works fine of course but that wouldn't really Count as hydraulic though.

Maybe a turbine with a rotary pump on it? Provide the oscillating air pillar right in the hand piece?

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Run an alternating current thru one of those shaker coil flashlights.
See what happens.

I picked up an old treddle sewing machines the other day.
Ima gonna try running my reciprocation pump off it to see if I can spin it up fast enough, start, stop etc.
I think it would be cool to demo engraving running on foot power alone.
Could be a semi-portable setup.
Lighting might be tough to do and look streampunk enough to fit.
Actually, with the right packaging some LEDs in an old coal miner lantern might be fun.
Dress up in top hat and tails, some valves and brass dohickies for accents.
Should be a hoot!

Olegraver

My uncle was a master jeweler and graver, always made a lot of his tool including his pneumatic air graver. This was many years ago, guess he should have got that patent. Making your own isn’t that hard, plenty of videos on YouTube, instead of listening to folks tell you to hand over your money to the patent holders, I suggest having fun making your own, just don’t try to sell it or the patent holders will
Send there lawyers after you, sad part is those smucks probably stold the idea from someone like my uncle.

Stefan

Elite Cafe Member
hey guys just buy the lindsay airgraver and you will have the best there is then make your money engraving
Why invent? Why suffer? Just go and buy it ready. I totally agree with you.

Olegraver

Hey guys, on second thought, maybe instead of making your own graver, you should just give all your money away altogether and not only pay others to make the tools, but pay others to do the engraving for you as well, wink wink! P. S. I promise I am not a toolmaker on the forum descised as a patron trying to convince you not to make your own tools......

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
If nobody had ever experimented and tried to build a better mouse trap, you would all still be engraving with push gravers and hammers. Well maybe not, the people like Shaun Hughes would have their own contraptions...

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
[QUOTE="dogcatcher, post: 219859, member: 8071 Well maybe not, the people like Shaun Hughes would have their own contraptions...[/QUOTE]

and people like Steve Lindsay
and people like John Rohner and Don Glaser (GRS)
And people like Ray Phillips of Ngraver

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If any of you are every traveling through northern Virginia stop in the NRA museum and go to the display with engraved firearms and there is a power assist engraving machine made by an engraver from Michigan John Murphy with a S&W pistol he engraved, this power assist engraving machine Murphy designed was built before GRS,Ngraver or Lindsay. J.J.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If any of you are every traveling through northern Virginia stop in the NRA museum and go to the display with engraved firearms and there is a power assist engraving machine made by an engraver from Michigan John Murphy with a S&W pistol he engraved, this power assist engraving machine Murphy designed was built before GRS,Ngraver or Lindsay. J.J.

The Murphy machine is unique in that it operates the handpiece via a reciprocating Bowden cable. Not having handled the machine myself, I'm not sure if the cable makes the graver reciprocate or if the cable is attached to a piston that strikes the graver. Perhaps J.J. knows as he has seen the machine first hand.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Roger,You may want to email Dave Riccardo he was able to operate the machine before it was shipped to the NRA Dave told me it work fine,I got to see it up close before if when in display case with the S&W pistol.John Murphy was friendly with E.C.Prudhomme.Did I send you pictures of the machine? if not let me know. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors