Microscopes

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
I have been toying with getting a scope to work with, and i am wondering if any of the Bausch & Lomb scopes will work. I have seen some of them on e-bay. having to watch the $$, and cant afford a new Meiji.:confused:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
be sure they specify that the scope is a "zoom" and also try to get one with the xtra .5 objective lens. this allows extra working distance for your hands. another valuable plus is the availability of the led ring light. proper lighting is crucial in the use of these instruments. if you buy one, i don't think you'll regret the purchase. it takes one some time to acclimate to the requirements mandated by the scope, but the results are well worth it. i still cuss a bit when using mine, but on a daily basis i'm gettin more and more comfortable using it. as they say, try it, you'l like it !

rodstan

I currently use three Bausch & Lomb Stereo Zoom 4's , two standard for watchmaking and one with a .5 objective for engraving.I use lenses from 5 to 20 power between the scopes to give a varied range. For me they do an excellent job as I turn some fairly tiny parts down to .01 mm tolerance, and for engraving, the same range applies but the clearance is about 8 or 9 inches.Can get a graver or handpiece under quite easy.I use a B& L illuminator which fits in the front of the scope bracket or a halogen desk lamp close by.Down this way a Meiji or similar is worth a gazillion bucks to import, the B&L's are about down under in OZ and not having much else to compare with you use what you can get.For me they work well!!

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Powderhorn,
I have a B&L Stereo zoom 4
and i really like it
i haven't got the .5x lens yet if you can buy it with the scope because the lenses are about 50 to 70 dollars when they come up on ebay.
i bought my scope and the scope holding thing and then made my own boom arm.
i am a new engraver and do engrave under the scope but i can see where the 0.5x lens would give me a bigger field of view.....i can't do stippeling under the scope because there is not enough room
hope this helps
oh the eyepiece lenses on mine are 10 wf
Dave

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Powderhorn.
I had a Bausch & Lomb stereo zoom for many years and it was a great scope.
Foolishly let someone talk me out of it.
I now have both Meiji and an Olympus stereo zoom.
The Olympus is my favorite out of these two.
A GREAT feature of the B&L is the variable power light that fits the scope mount, catalog #31-36-39.
On the highest setting this projects a spot beam of light that indicates the center of rotation.
Or more properly said, the area that is in the center of the scopes focus.
It also gives more general illumination in the other settings the other settings.
If you buy a B&L get one to go with it if you can.
The B&L with 10 power eyepieces with the addition of a .5 objective lens is a great engraving scope IMO.
Hope this is some help. Make sure you get scope that is in adjustment or returnable.
Best of luck with your search.
John B.

Last edited:

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, Rodstan, Threefingerdave, John B:
Thanks for the reply s, I got a used Leica GZ4 Zoomer, with a Flouresent ring light, 10x eyepieces, and a .5 Barlow lens. Now the disaster has started, as to a bench redesign, and a new learning curve, eh, back to square one. and as to someone else comment , "it looks as though your digging the grand canyon, but only have barley scratched the surface", is sure the thing.

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Powderhorn,
good job on the scope with the 0.5x lens
I am really new to engraving but did a little befor the scope.... once you get use to it i think you will like it. I really like mine the more i use it. It is also fun to look at bugs with when the granddaughter comes over... how do you like the ring light?
3fd

monk

Staff member
the first real money job i did thru the scope i did a bit of work, and all of a sudden the curl coming up looked as though it could chew thru the side of my house! it actually scared me. i backed away from the scope expecting to see a totally ruined job. but there it was, a very nicely executed cut line. i've said it before, i'm glad sam and a few other folks got me interested in trying one. now i added a grs turntable under the magnablock. that's a bit better too.